Saturday, February 21, 2015

One row at a time

I just finished these socks.


They were not hard to knit, but there were six different charts to follow. The pattern is a very intricate celtic braid which is difficult to see because of the variegated yarn.

An experienced knitter asked why I was knitting such an intricate pattern with variegated yarn because the pattern would be hard to see.

She doesn't understand why I knit. I know the pattern is there, and I know what it took to make it and I love the yarn.

Some would say it is silly to knit such intricate patterns that go on your feet, inside your shoes.

But I know they are there.

This pattern seemed daunting - I would finish one chart of 30 or so rows, and put up the next 30.

Looking at the whole it seemed impossible, but one line at a time was doable.

One line at a time.

One day at a time.

And now they are on my feet reminding me that I can do complicated things if I just look at one line at a time.

Like so many patterns there is one complicated row, and then a resting row that is more straight forward.

Like swimming laps, one hard, one easy.

Like life.

3 comments:

  1. ..third time lucky! my posts from my phone keep disappearing...
    Fab socks
    Awesome pattern
    Wonderful post
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those socks! Yes you are right with the 'one row at a time' metaphor. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true. Often things seem unmanageable until you do them, little tiny step by little tiny step, until they are finally done.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.