Monday, April 6, 2015

E is for Exodus



In Grade Three the theme of the year revolves around old testament stories. This is because developmentally the nine-year old child, for the first time, feels like they are homeless. For many nine-year olds it is the first time they experience death - of a grandparent, or perhaps a beloved pet. For many nine-year olds this is when they ascertain that they must be adopted because they don't feel like they fit in with their family.

So we tell them stories of a people without a home. A people wandering. A people lost.

We also give them practical skills - gardening, building shelters, spinning, weaving, knitting, cooking.

Yes, we tell them, you are alone and wandering but we are going to give you practical skills.

So this square - the parting of the Red Sea. The story of running, and being chased, and being saved by the hand of something bigger than us. Something invisible and yet tangible.

It is the story of faith.

And hope.

It is the story of being lost and then found.

Grade Three was such a remarkable year in our journey together.

A journey often guided by an invisible hand.

7 comments:

  1. I parent a boy who just finished being 9 and a boy who is on the cusp of 9... Exodus is not a story I go to but the idea of finding how we fit in is evident here. I admit I expected this phase at 5ish, and fully expect it in the teen years, but didn't expect it now. I am off to rethink parenting boys aged 9 or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful preparation for young children, helping them to learn new skills as well as explaining about being 'lost' or not fitting in. I like the positivity in teaching them how it is possible to be 'found' again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by from the A to Z challenge, seeking other memoirists. I'm looking forward to coming back; you have many topics I'm curious to read your take on.

    Here's my post for the letter E - http://bit.ly/1c1etGj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, never thought of it like that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, never thought of it like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that about kids this age, but interestingly it is the age both my adopted kids needed to go home to Korea... And my boy needed lots of counselling... Maybe things would've been different at your school with a caring teacher like you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing the A to Z as well. Great post, I work in primary classrooms and can relate to your post, thanks

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.