Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for Gnome



Gnomes are a big part of the curriculum in the early grades. At the Christmas Faire there is the Gnome Village where children can walk through a wonderland where scenes of gnomes doing gnomey things are depicted.

In Grade One we heard stories about the gnomes that would feed the seeds and roots under the ground during winter so they could sprout during spring. In Grade One we were the gnomes that forged the metals to give to the villagers to help fight the dragon in the Michelmas play.

What would a Waldorf school be without gnomes and all the other rooty elemental beings?

The gnomes are representative of all the magical things in the world that we cannot see, but know they are there.


G is for the Grey Gentlemen



In Grade Six our class play was Momo and the Grey Gentlemen. It is a wonderful story written by Michael Ende (ala the Neverending Story). It is a play about time. How we think of it. How we use it. How we make it. How we lose it.

Time.

I wish I could get some of it back with this amazing class.


If you want to know more about my theme for this April A to Z(ed) blogging challenge click here

4 comments:

  1. I love the gnome story with them feeding the seeds during the winter. I am so impressed at the workmanship that has gone into making those quilt squares. It truly is a treasure, especially with the stories that are behind the squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnomes rock... So does Michael Ende, but I don't know the grey man... He looks a bit sinister. Is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes, the grey gentlemen were sinister, but momo and her turtle cassieopeia and the wizard save the day!

      Delete
  3. awww the gnomes, so cute!

    I hope you have a wonderful time during the rest of A to Z!
    Sylvia van Bruggen @ Playful Creative

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.