Sunday, May 14, 2017

Yopping 46 - Yarn chicken ftw!



This week was all about the edging of the baby blanket. Having only 77 gms left I kept weighing what was left, and how far I had to go and my math skills came into play big time.

I finished with less than 1 gm of yarn leftover. Yarn chicken? I WON!



101 pattern repeats - 1212 rows of knitting.

AND I even got it on the blocking mat on Saturday afternoon.



I started a slouchy hat for myself with some beautiful alpaca yarn I got as a present from my eldest sister this week.

This is my second start because my first start was going to be much too big so I frogged it and cast on 18 fewer stitches.

I finally started spinning the 50 gms of hemp I bought over a year ago. It spins like butter - so smooth - which surprised me as I thought it would be like spinning butcher's twine (which is why I think I put off spinning it for so long)



Now I can start to re-focus on my Iona squares. It has been too long.

And my Dizzy sweater is feeling left out too. I won't forget her either.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who mother. May the force be with you.









20 comments:

  1. That blanket is gorgeous. Lucky baby! And way to go playing yarn chicken. I know the feeling of being afraid I'd have enough but not wanting to buy more because then I'd have to find another way to use the left overs. Always the left overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I had bought the yarn from England so getting more was out of the question. I am glad I won.

      Delete
  2. The blanket is breath taking. What an heirloom it will be. Nice looking hat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am really happy with how the hat is coming along and since it is still so cold here I think I will get to wear it before summer comes.

      Delete
  3. Yay to winning at yarn chicken. The blanket is stunning, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yay indeed. It was a nail biter for sure!

      Delete
  4. I knew the baby blanket was going to be lovely, but I'm just in awe looking at those pictures (enlarged when I click on them). Everything about it it superb - your stitches are perfect, the design is elegant, and I love the curved corners. That is an heirloom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm I'm knitting a blanket with a similar pattern to that, but I'm not sure it's going to turn out as well as yours. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An heirloom for sure! Your skills and knitting are not to be outdone! I think it is the prettiest blanket I have ever seen...so delicate and yet intricate at the same time. Congrats!
    Love the hat yarn and I am wanting to learn to spin right after I dye my own yarn! May the force be with you also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to learn to dye from a friend very soon. I have two skeins of bare yarn just waiting for some colour!

      Delete
  7. That baby blanket is so beautiful, and what a precious heirloom too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That blanket is absolutely gorgeous. It's an heirloom piece!

    And I'm really glad to hear hemp is soft to spin! I haven't spun any for exactly the reason you cited -- I'm afraid it will spin up like twine. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hemp is funny stuff. When I knit with it is feels like knitting with twine, but once it is washed it so sooo soft.

      Delete
  9. Ooh! lots of lovelies here. A beautiful baby blanket. Love the start of the slouchy hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really liking the slouchy hat too know that I have the right fit!

      Delete
  10. Woooow! That's an impressive yarn chicken feat and your shawl pattern looks so intricate. What a beautiful piece of work. Your hat looks like it will be very warm and cosy. I need to make a few more now that the weather is cooling down here in South Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is suppose to be warming up here but so far it is still very very chilly.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful blanket, and well done on making that yarn last!

    I love the yarn you are using for the hat - what a lovely shade!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.