Monday, January 15, 2018

Today 29 years ago

On January 14, twenty nine years ago, I was making sure everything was organized to leave your brother so your Dad and I could go to the hospital to deliver you.

It had started snowing, hard, and I was concerned if we didn't get to the hospital sooner rather than later it would be too late.

As it turned out if it had been too late it would have been fine to have you born at home as yours was an uncomplicated birth.

As it turned out the Doctor was not as concerned as I was about the snow and waited for the hospital to call him that your arrival was imminent.

He missed the birth.

He did describe driving to the hospital as a commercial for all-wheel drive vehicles as he drove around all the stuck cars in his path between him and us.

So yes, you were born in a snow storm.    January 15, 1989, 3:20 am.

I still remember the doctor on call who delivered you - not her name, I forget her name, but she had the most wonderful warm brown eyes.

And so it began in that hospital room greeted by your Dad, and your Aunt, and me. You born on what would have been my father's 65th birthday.  A gift indeed.

You met your brother later the very same day - he arrived with a bouquet of irises for me.

I have come to believe that our children are our teachers, not the other way around.

You came into this world to teach me about you, about the world I live in, about myself.

I am still learning from you - you who now live so very far away - and in a hot country - far from snowstorms and icy winters.

I wish you were here so we could go to the Korean spa together, go get our hair cut, go out to White Spot and share some zoo sticks. Maybe get a mani/pedi and make fun of the massage chairs like we did so many years ago in Halifax.

I wish you were here so I could make us some tea, and we could sit in the kitchen nook and watch the birds and talk.

I wish you were here so you could sit at the piano, or play the guitar and sing.

I wish you were here so we could do yoga side by side.

I wish you were here so I could hold you as I wish you a Happy Birthday and tell you what this relationship of ours means to me.

But, as my mother used to say, "If wishes were horses than beggars would ride".

(She was also a Capricorn).

So today we will Skype, and hopefully the card I mailed will have made it in time to greet you on this special day.  If not, know that it is winging its way to you across the many many miles.

Happy Birthday, dear girl.
I love you.

Mum


8 comments:

  1. How lovely. I hope you get to Skype ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did. The end of her day and the beginning of ours. Nine hour time difference between us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful letter (i admit it made me very teary eyed and inspired to contact my own mother today), i hope you enjoyed a chat with your much-loved daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great to see her and she looked and sounded very happy.

      Delete
  4. That was very touching to read, Mary-Anne. I'm glad the lines of communication are intact despite the geographical distance between you.

    Better to be 'born in a snowstorm' than 'born in a cross-fire hurricane'! ;-)

    Thank you for sharing such personal memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a memory you shared. Thank you for sharing something so special. Wow, born in a snow storm. My first nephew was almost born in the minivan as my SIL was ready to push, even while being wheeled in the wheelchair; the nurses told her to not push b/c they didn't have a room ready for her. So for my second nephew, they planned it out earlier to drop the first two kids off at their aunt's before making their way to the hospital. I hope you had a lovely Skype session with your daughter. Wow, fraternal twins? Super cool!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.