Thursday, February 27, 2014

What a wonderful world

I was walking along the seawall today and noticed so many people walking and talking on their phone, walking and texting on their phone and it made me sad for them. The waves, the freighters, the dogs happily chasing balls and sticks, getting muddy in the, well, mud. The people I passed who met my gaze and smiled.

Those on their phones missed all that. But the saddest thing was the number of little ones, standing, looking up at their moms while their moms texted, or talked on their phones. Perhaps some of those calls and texts were earth shatteringly important, but somehow I don't think so. More then once there was also a dog looking up towards its master's face and waiting for the text to be sent.

I am glad that when I was walking my dog, and later my children, I didn't have the distraction of a cell phone and I could just chatter away to them.

Just chatter away.
The text can usually wait.
Those little ones won't be looking up at you forever.
Those waves, and birds, puppies and mud will soothe your soul. Really.
So will those smiles to those passing by.

I am glad for the technology we have available to us today. But it needs to be put into its rightful place.
And sometimes that place is in your pocket and turned off, or at the very least silenced.

Louis Armstrong was right - What a Wonderful World. We shouldn't take it for granted. Not any of it.

I see trees of green........ red roses too
I see em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do
They're really sayin......i love you.

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
They'll learn much more.....than I'll never know
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.