Saturday, April 26, 2014

Walter Mitty

"To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.” James Thurber

The last night of my daughter's visit we watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The quote above figured prominently in the plot and it captured my attention. It seemed to fit with the visit we had been having. As with the visit one year ago there were long talks, some (many) tears, and a deeper and closer relationship being forged out of the inevitable difficulties in life.

The purpose of life has figured prominently in discussions with family over the past few months. It seems at family gatherings, lately, I have been sharing more my belief, and faith, that we are not a random occurence of molecules and chemistry, but rather spiritual beings learning lessons and gaining insight through the use of these physical bodies and this incarnation. It is not a view shared by most of them.

It is a view shared by a very good friend, and by fellow anthroposophists. It doesn't matter to me that others hold different views. As long as they respect mine I can live with the loneliness of swimming up-stream.

I consider myself an esoteric Christian, an Anglican, an anthroposophist, a child of God. I am trying to live a life with less fear, to speak my mind more, and to not let others take advantage of me, or take me for granted.

That is why this quote spoke to me. I want all those things.

Because I know that with this body, in this incarnation, I have much to learn and I am nowhere near done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.