Sunday, September 3, 2017

Yopping numéro dix - Knitting and pickles

Oh my goodness people - I have been knitting, really!  Every single day but no pictures yet so be patient.  I will finish the test knit this week as I am on the border and have probably two more days of knitting to go.  Then blocking!!

I am loving this pattern and the yarn I am using so I am excited to share it with you once the pattern is published.

I have also been making pickles this week.  Silly me because yesterday was such a hot day and between sterilizing bottles, making the mustard sauce and then sealing the bottles in a hot water bath my kitchen was probably a million degrees.  (That is likely a gross exaggeration).

Here is my progress as of yesterday afternoon.


And here is this morning's work - much easier process and all done before the house got too hot.


I decided that 3 1/2 pints is not nearly enough onions so I went out this morning early and bought four more pounds.  Tomorrow I will get up early and finish them up.

If you want to read more about my mustard pickles and why it is so important for me to do this each year you can read yesterday's post.

It has been a good few days.  On Friday I went to the Pacific National Exhibition with a good friend I have know since Grade Three and we walked and talked and took in the sights.

I haven't been able to go swimming while I wait for my tattoo to heal but I think I will be in the water again by Tuesday.  I miss the pool, but I love my tattoo so it is all worth it.

So that is my week:  secret knitting, canning pickles, and visiting with good friends.

To follow my yopping friends check out their posts here.

20 comments:

  1. LOL...secret knitting, I LOVE IT!!! I'm very intrigued!!! Oooh pickles... I'm sure it felt like a gazillion degrees. I remember last year canning tomatoes in August...yeah, it was actually summer in August here last year (I type as I shiver...)...and it was definitely up to a million degrees in my little kitchen while I canned 80 pounds of tomatoes. This year though, the tomato prices are sky high, so no canning, sigh. Your onions though! Bravo! They look great! Pickles, onions and Cheddar cheese...mmmm...sounds like a date Mary-Anne! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I canned and I got ahead of myself, lol...I remember it took about 15 hours. I said "never again" but then, I always say that lol!

      Delete
  2. Love all the pickles, but that must have been sweltering. Can't wait to see the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those mustard pickles. I can only imagine how hot your kitchen got. That is a lot of steamy stuff going on in a kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I finished pickles early in the morning because yesterday the house was sweltering by mid afternoon.

      Delete
  4. I remember those hot days of canning and pickling....I could have waited until I had AC! LOL! Good for you...you will enjoy them so much when the snow flies and you can pop open a jar of summertime. You people and all your test knits which you can't show....such teases! I can't wait to see it and I know it won't be long because you are an amazingly fast knitter! Have a great week and do whatever makes your heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday it was so hot I imagined I could understand why people get AC. It only happens here a few times a year but it is so uncomfortable.

      Delete
  5. Productive ... wearable and edible goodies abounding. Yay you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pickles and cookies are good eating - just not at the same time!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your secret knit test project. And Wowee - look at those pickles! I love dill pickles and once in a while I enjoy a sweet pickle, and I like mustard. I wonder how I'd like Mustard Pickles?1? And pickled onions have never been on my radar. I think now, though, I am curious enough to give one a try if I ever have the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mustard pickles are very tart - not like the sweet ones you can buy in the stores.

      Delete
  7. Ohh look at all those pickles! Hmm wonder what the secret knitting is lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It feels that way. I hope it is not just a manic phase.

      Delete
  9. Oooohh secret knitting. Love a surprise - wonder what you're up to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will reveal as soon as I am able. It is up to the designer!

      Delete
  10. Yay! Great that you are living it up, Mary-Anne!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.