Sunday, January 12, 2020

Yopping Update #28 - Socks and Shawls

It is snowy here today.  Our first real snow of the winter.  A perfect day for staying in my jammies and knitting on the couch.  Also reading and of course updating everyone on my Year of Projects to date.

First a finish:

These are Twizzler socks and they were on my Year of Projects list for 2018-2019.  Better late than never, right?  I LOVE the fit - nice and snug.  I will definitely knit this pattern again.

I cast on the International Peace Park shawl which represents the relationship between Glacier National Park in Montana, USA and Waterton National Park in Alberta, Canada. 


Of course as with the Twizzler socks I discovered a mistake at one point about 4 inches back so had to do this:

It seems this might be my mantra for 2020.  Make a mistake?  Go back and do it over.  You won't regret it.  Are you listening, Mary-Anne?  I won't regret it.

I got to the pool six times this past week, and I attended a yoga class at my Rec Centre as well.  The doctor gave me a muscle relaxant to use at bedtime and I have been sleeping through the night which is a blessing.

My son is flying home today from his band's ten day tour in Germany, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic.  I am holding him in my heart as air travel seems so precarious to me these days. 

Sending peace to all those affected by the loss of life when the Ukranian airplane was shot down just after take-off. Sixty-three Canadians were killed and where I live there is a large Iranian population and seven of those Canadians were from our community.  So very sad for it all.  Peace people.  Just. Peace. I am praying for the families and friends of all 176 people killed on January 8th.


May the sun shine on you and in your heart this coming week as it is shining on my grand-daughter.

First day playing in the sand



13 comments:

  1. I chuckled about telling yourself to hear the ripping back. It is so hard to dismantle several inches of hard work but yes, we all will be happier with the outcome when the mistake is corrected.

    Our church prayed for peace this weekend. My heart hurts for all those families who were total innocents.

    Hold your son close when he arrives home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hold him in my heart, unfortunately his home is in the next province over. But he is home safe and sound as of 10:30 last night.

      Delete
  2. Your finished Twizzler socks are terrific! I do a fair amount of telling myself those very words, Mary Anne. I know it's not true, but sometimes I feel like I rip back as much as I knit and crochet. Thank you for the reminder to pray for the families of those killed in the Ukrainian airplane strike. Heartbreaking and sobering. And what a precious picture of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Whenever I mutter that I have to rip back to fix my mistake my husband comments that he has heard that before. And quite recently too!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful photo, that would look lovely framed, it looks timeless and I love the muted colours. Your socks look perfect and cosy. I made a mistake on the decreases of Allistar’s hat and kept going last night but will rip it out today as they do look obvious and I should have corrected it and not carried on, silly me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes whenever I think I will just keep going the error nags at me until I go back and fix it. You would think I would learn!!

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's a scary world out there and we have some scary leaders...I'm talking about the U.S.! I love the shawl and the symbolism too. So sorry you had to rip back but you will be happier...really you will! The colors are awesome in that shawl. Look at you 6 times in the pool AND yoga? You're amazing and glad you got some relief so you could sleep. Thank you for sharing your precious granddaughter....she always brings a smile to my face. Hugs ~Sam
    I pray for peace daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our leader isn't all picnic and roses either. Daily prayers are definitely required in this day and age. Thanks for doing your part.

      Delete
  5. Took a look at the Peace shawl on your link and love the colours you chose. I have, over the last few days spoken of my heartbreak to the various Iranian family members that run my favourite green grocer in the West End, for their community and friends' loss. So many bright minds gone in the insanity being brought to mankind...again. I've wanted to join in their New Year rite. I may try going on my own this year, it feels very important. It would be nice to see a familiar face, so if you want to attend (it is held at Ambleside in March) I'd bus over and we could make a close meeting spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for the losses in your community and that you are affected directly in that way. It's disgraceful how the people in power around the world abuse that power and everyday people get caught in the middle.

    Your Twizzler socks look fun. Will their completion be added to your 2019 or 2020 Yopping tally?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.