Sunday, May 23, 2021

Yopping Update #47 - Ohoh - I think I am addicted

 


Except for two more clues for my wee little gnome 

Body done (note cable didn't line up - oops)

I have spent this week solely on my gansey.  It is very addictive.  Hmmm I may have to check out a twelve step program for Gansey knitters.  

I tried it on yesterday and a couple of rows later I started the gusset for the underarm.  

yup, still in jammies

Here is a better picture of my progress.  All designs now completed at least once.  


I am keeping track of which row I am on for which pattern with good old pen and paper. 
Up to row 70 out of 176 rows!


I know I am addicted because as I knit this I am already designing one I want to make for a friend who is just graduating with her Marine Biology degree.  I am thinking of incorporating a whale motif, and maybe a planaria or two (planarium were the focus of her thesis).  She also loves manta rays so I might try to design that motif as well!

I did sign up for Kate Davies' Bluestockings group.  There will be seven patterns released and a number of lectures about the Bluestockings  - a group of women from the 18th century.  You can read more about them here. My first zoom lecture is tomorrow very early.  The zooms are happening in London time, and London is 8 hours ahead of me - so I had better get to bed early tonight.  8 am isn't too bad for me, but the event later this week will have me up at 5:30 am!  Eeek!

I still haven't cast on the first stocking pattern which was released on Friday, but I ordered the book so if I don't keep up with the pattern releases every two weeks I will have them all delivered right to my front door.  

I have been walking his week.  I got caught in a hail/thunder/lightning storm on Wednesday.  There was a horrific crack as I was leaving the forest, and I turned to see a large tree falling.  OMG - I ran forward to avoid it falling on me but then saw it (luckily) get caught up against another tree.  Needless to say I cut my walk very short and headed straight home.  I was soaked, and to be honest a little shaken up.  My other walks this week have been in open areas far away from large, tall trees!

On my Friday walk I discovered a lovely Japanese Dogwood tree, and then a bit further along a Labyrinth that the park maintenance people had mowed into the field.  I spent about ten minutes walking the path.  I always find labyrinths very meditative. 


Yesterday I raked up another two large bins of cedar leaves, and then planted some herbs my dh had given me for Mother's Day. I couldn't get my lawn mower to work so I will leave that for another day.  There is a thing called 'No Mow May' that people are following to give the bees some food via the dandelions before everything else comes into bloom.  I don' t feel so guilty about my dandelion crop this year because of this initiative - I am helping the bees! Maybe my mower knows that May isn't over yet, and it will start up like a dream come June 1st!

Parsley, Spearmint, and Oregano

My son has been delighting me with pictures he has been taking on his bird walks.  Look closely to see these camouflaged beauties. 

"Hoo Hoo" is looking at me?
 
Baby can play hide and go seek too

Of course while he was sharing pictures of his treetop friends, my daughter got in on the action. 

Look at me Gramma!

So there we have another week.  We are getting so close to the end of Yopping Year 10.  I had better get on my thinking cap for my year eleven plans.  

One last note if you subscribe to this blog via email Blogger is going to stop this feature in July.  I am not sure what that will look like, but I do have everyone's email so one way or another I will figure out how to keep you connected because I do appreciated all my subscribers.  Another blogger mentioned that BlogLovin' is a platform to subscribe to blogs.  Check it out, and if you have any other tips let me know in the comments below.  

Have a good week dear Readers.  Stay away from falling trees, and be alert to the beauty and magic that is all around us if we just take the time to look.  



8 comments:

  1. Wow. So impressed with your gansey. It is amazing. I love photos of birds. I joined the Facebook page of our local birding group. I really enjoy my "news feed" now as it's filled with amazing photos of local birds. Many of the birders are professional photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hansey is marvelous. You have really put a lot of work and thought into it. So glad the tree did not fall on you. How scary. Love the photos from you kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are speeding long with your Gansey, I like to use pencil and paper too. There have been a lot of fallen trees here and I always worry one will fall when I'm in there. I may be walking quickly and with no headphones in! On my phone I can't see the bird so his camouflage must be good...of course I don't have my glasses on either but I could see your lovely cable sections fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely week with a lot of nature! And your gansey is looking wonderful also - I love the idea of designing one with motifs special to a person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Gansey is beautiful! I love the color too. The Blue Stocking Club sounds like fun although I am too busy to join but I might get the book.
    Those bird/owl pictures were amazing! Hiding in plain sight!
    Your granddaughter is so cute and getting big! That had to be a very frightening experience! Lightening is something I steer clear of if at all possible. So glad you are okay.
    You had a great week otherwise! Have another on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. getting caught in that storm and almost hit by a falling tree sounds terrifying! Happy fate intervened and you were safe.

    My high school biology teacher retired a couple years ago, and spends his free time birding, kayaking, and photographing the wildlife he sees. I always love seeing native bald eagles returning to old habitat grounds after decades of absence. It always makes me smile, so I can see why the birding pics by your son are so enjoyable!!

    The Gansey looks great. I love that you are already working out the patterns for the next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gansey looks brilliant, what a fantastic project and you are getting on so well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know... if you don't mention the cable not lining up, it will probably just look intentional and winsome. That's what I thought at first. Your gansey continues to amaze me.

    What a shock that falling tree must have been! Wowee!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.