Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

The tree is up, the presents are mostly wrapped, the baking is done,and I will probably get out of my pjs soon.

I am at peace during what many feel is a hectic season and I am thankful for so many things. Thankful for our medical system (twice this year!), thankful my daughter made the drive to PEI safely. Thankful for my brother's health due to the new treatment he was on. I am thankful for honest conversations, and good company. I am thankful for good friends who make this season about so much more than material things. I am thankful for apologies accepted. I am thankful that even though neither of my children are home for Christmas I feel close to them.

I am thankful for the birds that come to my feeders outside the kitchen window to cheer me up, and for the delightful Anna's hummingbird that came to feed even during the snow last week. I am thankful for the fox sparrow who has just arrived at the feeder in the last two days. He is a cheeky thing.

Tonight I will sit with my husband in front of the fire, with our little tree, probably watching Alastair Sim in A Christmas Carol and I will cry at the end as I always do.

Tomorrow I will spend wrapped in the love of family and it will be noisy and boisterous and there will be dogs to cuddle. There is always dogs to cuddle at these gatherings.

I am thankful that the days are getting longer, and that the last month of recuperation has given me time to get priorities straight. Again.

I am thankful for all those who read these entries. The thought of you all makes me feel so less alone.

I will read Twas the night before Christmas to myself this year, as there are no children to read it to and it will connect me to my own childhood, as it always does.

"And I heard him exclaim as he rode out of sight, "Happy Christmas to All, and to all a good night"."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.