Wednesday, September 21, 2016
HodgePodge - First day of Autumn
1. Thursday (September 22) is the first official day of autumn in this part of the world...how will you welcome the season? I know some of you have been celebrating way too early, but it's official now so permission granted. House Beautiful recently listed ten ways to make your home smell like fall (you can read the list here) What's a scent you love this time of year and how will you add it to your home?
I bring in all my succulents from outside and take great joy in their summer progress. I also have chrysanthmums growing outside which always remind me of fall and my dear aunt and grandmother's garden walkway
2. Apple pie or pumpkin pie? Apple cake or pumpkin bread? Warm apple cider or a pumpkin spice latte?
Definitely pumpkin pie. Homemade with a gluten free crust.
3. Do you suffer from what is sometimes referred to as an afternoon slump? What helps ward it off before it hits and/or tell us what helps you shake it off once it's here?
Yes, I can get the afternoon slump but a cup of hot earl grey tea and a chocolate chip cookie are all I need to recover.
4. Ladies-how have your friendships with women inspired you or made you a better person? For the men here today- how have your friendships with men inspired you or made you a better person?
My female friendships are what sustain me. I have fantastic women friends. Some go back to my childhood, some to my first teaching job, some are new since I retired. I love them all. Fiercely.
5. Are you a people pleaser? If you said yes, do you think that's a good or bad thing? If you said no, do you wish you were more of a people pleaser?
I used to be to my detriment. Now I take better care of myself and my time, but I do still like the feeling of helping others. I am just more judicious about when and why.
6. The seasons are a-changin'...share a favorite song relating in some way to change (not necessarily seasonal change, it could be change of any kind).
Turn Turn Turn (To everything there is a season) by the Byrds
7. What do you wish would never change?
That the people I love would never get sick or die.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I've always loved the Fall. The colours. The cool sunny air. The light. The lead in to my birthday and Thanksgiving and Halloween. Armistice Day and yes, Christmas. There are so many reasons I love this time of year. New beginnings. New students. Making mustard pickles. Picking apples. Yes, I've always loved the Fall.
Check out other HodgePodge entres here.