Sunday, March 19, 2017

Yopping 38 - Done with Cold Sheeping



I did finish another pair of socks:



I did almost finish the third quadrant (although I was cocky and didn't use a life line and had to redo rows 61-63 three times).
Lifeline now securely in place.




I did start my second Elizabeth Zimmerman sweater using up my Cascade 220.



and then?

Then I bought this pattern Iona, from Lucy Hague.




And then I went to the Fibres West convention to buy wool for the above said blanket.

I have always fretted about choosing colours, but Kinfolk Yarn was there, and I was determined to pick and choose and finally ended up with this:



I am so happy - and my wallet is now so light - and I am officially not cold sheeping anymore. Cold Sheep is a term used on Ravelry. By committing to going Cold Sheep (instead of cold turkey), you’re committing to not buying more yarn until you hit a certain time goal or have knit down your stash of previously purchased yarns. I have been cold sheeping for over a year (except for that wool I bought in London, and that hemp I bought last October) and I did promise myself that if I was to buy yarn once my cold sheeping was done I had to have a project in mind. And I do. So there is that.

I also bought some more hemp (300 gms) for a couple of more zodiac pot-holders.




And of course I HAD to buy more stitch markers, because, well, Houston - we have a problem.





Lastly I have some white Cascade 220 that I am going to dye pink because I just have to make myself a pussy hat. I have re-wound it into a skein and now I am off to buy some pink kool-aid.

I just have to - cause I just have to have one of 'those' hats.









15 comments:

  1. How do you 'tink back' when you don't have a lifeline? Is there some secret video I need to watch? People say they do this and I have not a clue unless it is all Knits and Purls. Will a light just come on in my head some day? Good for you though!
    Your socks look so warm and cozy....what weight yarn did you use? They look awesome!
    I saw that pattern just the other day and it briefly registered that I would love to make it some day but not now....plus, I would want it in wool and that's more than I can spend at the present time. I love the colors you chose and cannot wait to see it worked up. It is going to be out of this world gorgeous!
    Love the stitch markers...I need some bright ones like that and the hemp is great as it has antibacterial properties.....naturally. Cold Sheep....learn something new every day! LOL! Have a great week and please cast on that blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tinking back all the knits and yarnovers and k2tog. It is time consuming, but worth it. The socks are knit with fingering but holding two strands together. Yes, the wool for this blanket cost a lot, but I hope it will be an heirloom for years to come. My son loves the pot-holders I double-knit out of the hemp so it is a pleasure to knit them (and I didn't know about the antibacterial properties, so know I have learned something new too!

      Delete
  2. Oooooh! Tinking back multiple rows! I can totally relate! Also going cold turkey on yarn is highly overrrated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I did cold sheep to use up yarn that has been sitting idle for far too long. But I am very very happy with my purchases for sure! The tinking involved a few choice swear words for sure....but lifeline is in and all is good now. I have learned my lesson.

      Delete
  3. What lovely colors of yarns you bought from Knitfolk Yarns. The Iona will be wonderful made with those yarns. Can't wait to see you begin knitting it. Wow - what a beautiful blanket that will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have a square or two done by next post. I have the needles ready, I have watched the youtube on how to increase 1 stitch to 7 and I have wound two skeins to start. Wish me luck.

      Delete
  4. Your WIPs are lovely, and those socks, oh man!
    And your new yarn, there are actual hearts in my eyes, they are beautiful!

    Carla, Tiny Angry Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the more I look at that yarn the more in love with it I am.

      Delete
  5. I think you deserve those new yarns which are very pretty! You are the most prolific knitter I know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally deserve it!! As far as being prolific goes - I knit, therefore I am!

      Delete
  6. I am so glad I read this post. I had no clue about lifelines and I certainly needed one recently- I too have a lacy blanket on the go. I've just managed to finish the 1st quadrant but if I'd known about lifelines I'd probably have 2 done by now! I'll be using them in future so thanks for the info. Can't wait to see your progress on the new blanket- those colours look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I use lifelines a lot in lace patterns. I am not sure why I was so complacent with this pattern. Lesson learned.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful projects. I love them all and your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of 'cold sheeping' before but that is definitely what I have been doing for at least a year or maybe more.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.