Sunday, February 24, 2019

Yopping Update #34 - Back where I belong


My teaching week is done!  Yay!  It went very well.  I was taking uber amounts of Vitamin C and Oregano oil as I felt a cold coming on, but I have so far (knock on wood) kept it at bay. 

A little knitting still occurred - all on my KAL blanket.  I made the last two patterns I have until my next issue arrives, and since each pattern is suppose to have three squares per pattern I have been repeating some.





I love the look of these Intarsia squares, but man do my yarns ever get themselves into a tangle as I go. Any intarsia detangling tips are welcome.  I have cast on the third so I still have time to learn a new trick or two. 


I made a boo boo on the purple heart (I missed 6 rows because I didn't turn the page - duh - so it looks a little squattier than the white one - but hey - design element. 

Today I was back in the pool for the first time since getting home from being away. That means it was my first time since my cold dip in the sea on January 1, but the first time swimming laps since the end of November.  What?   I know, right?

It was heaven.  I swam a half mile - my right arm is a little stiff these days so I didn't want to over do it, and after my swim the hot tub felt a m a z i n g. 

So back to my blanket - I have started to block out the possible colour sequences since I am using left over yarn in my stash. 


I am hoping it will help me pick colours.  I don't have a very artistic eye for that kind of thing unless I see it - so we will see if this helps with the unfolding of it all. 

I didn't make it to my knit group this week as some women friends and I had a spontaneous pot luck dinner.  It was so much fun - I haven't laughed that hard in ages.  Good friends+good food = perfect evening!

To follow other yoppers on their updates you can go here.  Otherwise - I am back to my knitting, and hey, the Oscars are tonight so I have to get all my snacks ready now!



10 comments:

  1. Your squares are so nice. I am very fond of the first photo. The heart ones are adorable too. Intarsia scares me so I do not have any helpful hints for you. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that heart and cables square is beautiful. I like the colors you've mapped out so far on the key you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done at keeping that cold at bay (touch wood).

    It must have been amazing to get back in the pool too after so long. Feel the world lift off your shoulders! I can certainly relate as swimming is a love of mine. I'm slowly rebuilding my strokes after being so weak for so long.

    Intarsia tips? Winding smaller amounts of yarns onto bobbins for each contrast colour so you're not handling large balls. Otherwise, I've been known to get into the habit of swapping my used colour and working colour from front to back or vice versa (can't remember which) so my current working colour is free of the others. You can get into a little routine every colour change and it becomes automatic hence I can't exactly remenber what I do because I don't really think about it any more. Bobbins are easiest though.

    Good luck with your Intarsia. It's looking very even and I imagine the hardest part would be to maintain an even tension between colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no tips for you... I'm in awe of your skill.
    Hope the home-water was a little warmer and more welcoming. Applause from me for yet another positive productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t tried intarsia, looks great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eve know what Intarsia is but that's okay...I can still appreciate your lovely work on it. Such pretty squares and colors. Good for you to be back in the pool. I totally forgot about the Oscars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The squares are terrific. No tips to share but I can picture it coming together as a very happy blanket from your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got back to your swimming and hope that cold stays away. Plotting your squares out looks like a good idea but I doubt an expert like you really needs tips on the intarsia. The meal with friends sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a spontaneous pot luck dinner! Your squares look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.