Sunday, March 3, 2019

Yopping Update #35 - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle



On the knitting front I have completed the 17th square of the Heart's Desire KAL



 and last night I cast on number 18.  I have been diligently blocking as I go:


Good thing no-one needs the spare bedroom!

I also gave a small bag of toques and mitts and boots goodwill this week.  I had put aside a beautiful aran vest my sister had made for me many many years ago.  It is too big for me now and I felt it was time for it to move on to the Free Store - but as it lay waiting for my trip to the little island it became a favourite place for Otis to curl up on as he kept me company while I was doing school prep.

Then I saw a video on facebook about a man that frequents second hand stores looking for sweaters to unravel to make wool hats. 

After a call to my sister to get her blessing I turned this:

into this:


and then I found the perfect pattern for a fisherman's knit sweater and so now I have this:


All my knitting this week is leftovers from my stash, and from the recycled sweater. 

I went to knit group on Thursday and I bought this kit from a friend who was de-cluttering.  It is roving and a pattern to make felted slippers!. Three bucks!  I will cast this on today!



Other than that I have been swimming and walking and doing a little contract working at my school.  I have also been working on my Croatian - especially the grammar rules in the new text book I received two weeks ago.  My teacher and I are working through it together.  It really helps to have her go over my lessons. 

Life is good: 

I watched the Oscar's last week.  Shallow won best song and the chorus has been going around and around in my head. 

I'm off the deep end
Watch as I dive in
I'll never meet the ground
Crash through the surface
Where they can't hurt us

We're far from the shallow now. 

I find these lyrics so comforting and inspiring and true.  At 63 I am far from the shallow but that is ok.  I know how to swim the deep waters 

And when I get tired, I can turn onto my back and float with the current. 

It is all ok. 

I am ok. 

And spring is coming.

I have the picture to prove it:


Follow my intrepid yopping friends here.




10 comments:

  1. I just love that you're making a new sweater from an old, loved knit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are re-purposing the yarn from an old unused sweater Mary-Anne! I spoke about this on my last podcast as it's what I'm going to do with a garment that is also unused in my wardrobe and one that I'd like to not waste the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea about re-using the yarn! I really like your square for Heart's Desire KAL. I missed the Oscars but I'm going to see if I can watch them on You Tube or somewhere. Better late than never. Are those snowdrops in your picture? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing to repurpose the yarn your sister had knit for you. What a bargain for that roving. You will have some lovely warm slippers soon. Love seeing snow drops popping up through the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Gaga and am so happy for her. You are a productive knitter. You go, Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep finding myself singing the chorus of Shallow for over a week now, since I watched the Oscars. I look forward to seeing what you make with your rescued yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "Shallow" lyrics you quoted are perfect to inspire you. I couldn't think of anything more fitting, especially with your interpretation and reassurance that you know how to swim the deep water and also rest and float. A good metaphor for moving through life. It is a pleasure to read that you are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love square number 17! Also love your repurposed yarn - I've done a bit of that myself of late!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.