Sunday, March 22, 2020

Yopping Update #38 - You were right!


The readers who hazarded a guess were correct.

This:


Became this:


I made him for my sister who is a great supporter of this Sheldrick Wildlife Sanctuary for orphaned and injured elephants.  Check it out.  The baby elephants wear blankets just like the one pictured on this little guy I knit.

I finished my St. Patrick's Day handspun - 132 metres.


I want to knit a sock monkey puppet for my tree, but I have no brown in my stash - so next up to the spinning wheel will be something suitable for a wee monkey.

I knit one of the Alan Dart patterns I had in my queue.  I needed some metallic thread for the wings and star so I ordered some from Michaels online that I could pick-up at the store.  Minimal human contact as I am seriously self-isolating.


Free Alan Dart Pattern

My cardiologist appointment was done via the internet on Tuesday as the doctor was not well and staying home.  Interesting how technology is saving the day in many ways during this CoVid situation.

I doubled my online meat/fish order so our freezer is well stocked, and I even got some of the powdered peanut butter I like from Amazon, because my grocery store was all out.

Speaking of social isolating, as I mentioned I gave up fb and instagram for Lent.  I was being a hard-ass and not taking advantage of being allowed to use fb on Sundays.  I am going to start doing this today as I think a lot of socializing is happening on my groups on fb and I want to stay connected during this time.  For some of my friends and family fb is our meeting place.  I will remain off Instagram though.  Small steps.

Speaking of steps I have been using my fitbit to make sure I get up and walk for at least 10 minutes every hour from 10am - 6pm and I did a bit of raking on Friday and Saturday.  Some days we drive down to the little park near our house and I go for a short 30 minute walk.

I was interested in starting the Wrapped in Jamie CAL but, oh my god, I downloaded the stitch compendeum and it is FORTY pages.  After hemming and hawing for a few days I decided to go for it, and after four days, and the great video help from the designer, (her voice is very calming) I finished the first square last night.

Year of the Ox


And even got started on square 2.

Sawny


I am super proud of myself for this progress.  I think I can call myself a real crocheter now!  Each square takes 100gms of dk weight yarn, so I may have to do an on-line order in the near future.

There have been lots of phone chats with friends and family, and video chats with my son, daughter and grand-daughter.  I am so thankful for technology.

This morning my WW meeting was done virtually via Zoom.  It was great to see and hear from my WW friends.  I have heard that CoDA has an on-line meeting on Friday evenings, so I will check that out this coming week.

Here is a picture of Otis and I chilling while watching Netflix last night.


And this is the picture I received soon after of my daughter and grand-daughter chillin'!


Have a good week everyone.  Stay the course.  Social distance.  Self Isolate.  Stay calm and knit/crochet/bake/garden/quilt/sew/stitch/paint (have I missed anything), on.

7 comments:

  1. You have been very busy this past week. Love the little elephant. The Alan Dart pattern turned out super cute too. Love the photo from Croatia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wish that I've been as productive as you've been. The elephant is terrific - and with a blanket too! Powdered peanut butter?!? I've never heard of this invention! I wonder if our stores carry it and I've just been obtuse? I don't blame you at all for getting back on FB. I haven't ever wanted to have a FB account (though I do use dh's once in a while), but I have been wondering if it's time. I really don't want to because I know what it can do to me - if I spend too much time wandering around on it, I come away from it feeling less connected to people than I do if I just stay off it. But DH? He's been using it to connect to people and I think it's been a bit of a lifeline for him since he retired and his FB time has seriously ramped since social distancing started. I think he kind of worries that I can exist in so much quiet for so long. I do have to be careful that I don't go overboard and find myself truly lonely, though. While being an introvert can feel like a gift in a time like this, I know from experience I have to be careful not to pull in too much or for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, your elephant is gorgeous, I missed last week so missed the process! We are beginning our homeschooling today - the boys are excited at the moment but I don't know how long that will last! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're staying home as much as possible too. Stay safe and well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that’s a cute elephant that turned into. I’ve never heard of powdered peanut putter and I’m intrigued. In normal times we do have a ‘American’ section of one of our aisles that has things like peanut butter cups, lucky charms, pop tarts, so maybe I’ll have a look when the craziness is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The elephant is so cute and you did a beautiful job on it! I love Alan Dart patterns but have been too chicken to make one! :)
    I love your St.Patrick's Day yarn too. :)
    Your photos are darling! I self-isolate all the time...for years now so this is nothing new for me. I've never heard of powdered peanut butter...I'll have to give it a try! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've gone back to FB and I have been avoiding it. I just can't deal with having the anxiety-fuelling news in my face without warning. I thought I would have more time for crochet during this hiatus but, like you, I have been using more time than ever using technology to connect with friends and family. The blessing in all of this is the gift of time to spend talking on the phone, video chatting, blogging, writing letters and just catching up with people who are important to us.
    P.S. Powdered peanut butter? What is such a thing? How does that work? I never cease to be amazed at human invention.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.