Sunday, March 29, 2020

Yopping Update #39 - OMG I forgot a title


Well, it has been a roller coaster of a week mental health wise. I was excited to find a grocery store that would deliver to us on Tuesday and it was like Christmas morning unpacking the goodies.  Again on Saturday we called our local meat/grocery store and he put together two boxes for us that we picked up just as he was closing last night.  Next door is a small pet food store so I was able to get a few cans of cat food.  Not Otis' normal brand, but hey, we all have to make sacrifices in these times.

There have been a few melt downs (me) and a few fretful moments (dh) but all in all we are holding it together.  Himself is fearful to give me anything so he has been sleeping in the spare room, and as of yesterday I moved my toothbrush, etc. to the downstairs bathroom so we can keep each other well just in case one of us catches, or has, the virus.

Last night I woke up at 4am from a horrible dream that I was dying from the virus.  This is my second CoVid-19 anxiety dream.  Not fun.  Then between 4am and 5:30 am I took my temperature 3 times convinced I was running a fever.  Sigh.

On the plus side my CoDA 12 step group had an online meeting yesterday via zoom, as did my WW meeting last (and this) Sunday, and my knit group met online Thursday night.  My son is checking in with us via phone once a day, and my daughter and her precious daughter are video chatting with us every couple of days.

So, now to the knitting - or more correctly the crocheting.  I have become obsessed with all I am learning with the Wrapped in Jamie CAL.  I have completely finished square 1 and 2, and I have square 5 and 6 done up to the border.
I was quickly running out of stash as each square takes about 100 gms so I logged onto KnitPicks site.  It was March 23rd, and there was a notice that if you got your order in before midnight on the 23rd they would ship it, but then they would not be shipping until things settled down with the virus.  To make a long story short I order 14 balls of yarn!  It has been shipped and I am waiting for its arrival to finish the border on two of the squares and to start square 3.

square 2 - Sawny
square 5 - Chess and Manners
square 6 - L'Universitie
While awaiting for the Knitpicks order I needed something to do so after checking my queue on Ravelry I started the Spice of Life blanket.


Now I am done to only a few colours of the correct weight yarn, so the knitpicks order will help me finish this too.


that Knitpick order can't get here soon enough it seems

It is great TV crochet, not so with the Wrapped in Jamie CAL.  It needs ALL my concentration.

I think I will have to cast on a pair of socks that I will knit using bits and bobs of fingering I have around.  I will knit them TAAT (two at a time) so the striping will more or less match.

I did manage to cook one of our meals this week to give my hubby a break from doing all the cooking.

Sauteed chicken breasts with lemon and capers
The highlight of my week was when a book I ordered arrived.  It is The Boy, the mole, the fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy.  Just what my anxious soul needed:

This caption is one I am taking to heart these days.

I also got engrossed in Dan Brown's novel Deception Point.  I stayed up too late last night finishing it so I will have to start my Neil Gaiman book, Anansi Boys,  today.

So there is my week.  Some crochet, no knitting (what?)!

I washed and dried my handspun and will likely start using it this coming week.

292 meters combined - I should be able to make something smooshy out of this
Some reading, some fretting, some tears and lots of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Crave.  I am enjoying Younger on Amazon Prime.  It is frivolous and light and just the ticket some days.

I hope and pray you are all doing well.  And.....

my son wearing the sweater I knit him in January

and.....
look who is learning to sit in a chair
Stay well dear friends, dear readers.  We will get through this.


PS:  I published this and realized I hadn't put in a title.  Who know what it is saved under - but I hope it will work regardless.

8 comments:

  1. This virus has all of us a little on edge. Everytime my husband sneezes or coughs I get a little nervous. He has allergies which makes him sneeze and cough at times. I am trying so hard to stay away from people other than a few family members who are also isolated. The phone and texting has been my lifeline just like you. I like those squares you have done. They look quite complicated. How large will the item be when it is completed and sewn together? Or do you know yet? Stay well, MaryAnne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. each square is about 14 inches square and there are 12 squares in the first season - so I think a big baby blanket, or throw for a twin bed. We shall.

      Delete
  2. We have set up our spare room ready in case one of us gets symptoms, but mostly we are staying in, washing our hands very regularly and making sure we are 6ft from anyone if we are out walking the dog. There’s not much you can do about nightmares I suppose, perhaps avoiding dairy before bed may help? Take care and stay busy to help keep your mind from dwelling. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's quite natural to be a bit anxious with all that is going on. Unless I turn on the news my life is not any different...lol! I have self-isolated for years.The Wrapped in Jamie CAL looks interesting. I love your handspun yarn and WHAT? We can't order yarn from Knit Picks? OMG! That just goes to show that you should always maintain a healthy stash!:) Those chicken breasts look yummy! I love lemons and capers. Your son is a good looking young man and especially in that handsome sweater he's wearing. And of course that cutie pie takes the cake! Remember the song..."don't worry be happy"! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know... that is so smart to move personal items now in case someone gets sick later. I've tried to imagine how that should work (and things like who'll get the master bedroom and bath) if one gets sick, but I'm kind of thinking now it will be too late if we wait 'till someone IS actually sick. The contagion has surely been shared at that point. Sigh. I'm suddenly seeing, in our case, if one of us gets the virus, surely both will have it to some degree before it's had its way. What a handsome son - wearing a handsome sweater you made. It looks like a perfect fit. And your little sweetheart is as adorable as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the post works fine so one less thing to fret about. Yes these are worrying times but we just have to get through one day at a time. We've thought about how we would separate in the house if we needed to but are not as organised as you. I'm glad you quoted the size of those squares - they look quite small in the photos and I wondered how you were getting through so much wool lol. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mary-Anne,

    I'm sorry the anxiety is getting to you. Totally understandable. I am extremely fearful because my neighbourhood is a 'hotspot' for the virus. My household is in "fortress mode". It can be very hard to calm those nerves. I am coping by knowing that I am doing all there is to do, and by having faith that it's enough.

    How great that you grabbed that yarn order just in time. One cannot be without yarn in these times! Just so you know, there are some Australian yarn sellers whose online shops will be remaining open as long as possible and are still open. I don't know what the freight would be from here to you but there will be ways to get yarn, I'm sure.

    If the Australian Prime Minister promotes jigsaw puzzles as pandemic survival necessities, then yarn should be also!

    Your family photos are lovely. Well done on the sweater - a perfect fit.

    We WILL get through this, Mary-Anne. More fun and less fret.
    Take it easy. I will be thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you managed to get your yarn order in - I can't imagine not having yarn! Stay safe, we will get through this.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.