Sunday, April 5, 2020

Yopping Update #40 - Happiness is yarn delivery



There has been a lot of crocheting this week.  As I was waiting for my Knit Picks order I realized I had some pink cotton to work on Petra's (Black Sheep Crochet) Love is in the air square.  I made three of them.  

Look at all those hearts!
Then on Friday this happened!

A box of happiness
This meant that yesterday I could pick up where I left off on my two squares that were missing their border.  I worked on it all day yesterday, two at a time, so I got both squares through to row 27.  What I am most proud of is now I don't have to look at the pattern all the time, and the stitches and spacing is becoming more intuitive.  I am definitely coming out of this self-isolation an intermediate crocheter for sure.  

squares # 6 and #5

Square #3 is up next -  I was waiting for the green to arrive to start it. Colours are at the ready now.

Square #9 was just published so I am getting close to being caught up

I finished spinning and plying my brown windy hill fibre, and I am half way through another spin - so yay me!!
maybe just right for my sock yarn monkey


I finished my cowl from my homespun - the grey and green - the black and white are leftovers from other projects.  The pattern is free on Ravelry.  It is called I'll Pack a Cowl for Rhinebeck.  One day my sister and I will get there.  
how cute is that little alpaca in the middle of  the sheep?

I did some baking - because I was in cookie withdrawal, and I also made some cornmeal muffins for our chili fest. 

gf peanut butter and oatmeal (no flour at all)

so good warm with butter
I am trying to take on more cooking responsibility while also using up ingredients in our fridge and freezer.  I was emailed a recipe for spanish paella, and I had both the chorizo and the prawns so I gave it a whirl.  



needs more spice, and I think some chicken next time

I have been attending a number of zoom initiatives.  Abotti with Antonietta classes every weekday.  It is a low impact 30 minute workout.  Also my knit group has been getting together via Zoom, and on Thursday there was an instructor meeting for the institute I teach at.  I had already decided not to teach this summer until my hip and arm pain is resolved, but I joined in just to see how everyone was doing and to give some possible feedback on how they will teach this summer via the internet.  

I attended three WW zoom workshops.  It is so great to see all my friends, and we have some laughs (and some tears), and support each other despite not being able to get together in person.  

We had another grocery order delivered on Wednesday.  Otis, the cat, is complaining about the food I bought him - not his usual brand - but hey, we all have to dig in and dig deep during this strange time. 

I am finally getting caught up on the final season of Game of Thrones (no spoilers in comments please), and I subscribed to Acorn TV and I am enjoying The Indian Doctor.  I let my fitbit remind me to get up and move every hour for ten minutes.  So there is that.  

And yesterday I woke up to snow.  Not a lot, but the deck and railings were covered and himself, the cat, was not amused.  

Lots of facetime with dear grand-daughter (and her parents) , but, alas no pics this week for you dear readers.  My son has been checking in by phone everyday and on Friday night we played a card game via the app Board Game Arena.  

Here is himself.  As soon as I go to bed, he comes and plops himself down right by my head. 

and yes, his back end is always in my face - sigh. 
Take care everyone.  I think it was Winston Churchill that said "When you find yourself going through hell, keep going."  Wise words. 




7 comments:

  1. Awesome work on those Jamie squares! Those are tough. I haven't tried the hearts one yet but now that I've seen yours maybe I'll make it a priority this week. Your Himself is adorable! (Silly cat, giving your his back end.) I hope your coming week is as crafty and delicious as this week looked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your squares are all lovely, Mary-Anne! The Love is in the Air square is so fun with all those hearts. And your cowl is adorable! How fun that will be to wear when it gets cold again. Or maybe it's still cold enough where you live to wear it now? Yes, it sounds like it might be. I have enjoyed connecting with some peeps on Zoom. Hoping, still to pursuade my sons to join me on it one of these days. Two of them basically work at computers all day. It's just now occuring to me that that may be one of the reasons I don't get a resounding "Yeah!" when I suggest it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hearts on the square look so pretty. Your crochet skills are really coming along. Your handspun yarn is so consistent and even, the cowl looks wonderful, a cute pattern, but your own yarn looks great. I’m still not managing a consistent thickness yet. I’m glad to hear about all your meetings online. Hearing other people’s voices is so comforting at the moment. My old cats would go on hunger strike if you bought them food they didn’t like. They’d be off catching rabbits to survive until I switched back and leave me bunny ears outside the door as a sign of protest! I love the independent nature of cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say you are and advanced crocheter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crochet skills look superb to me, love all of the squares and I'm so glad you got your order promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Bright colours - very much needed I dare say. Pink and purple POP so much next to bright yellow. Fabulous!
    I like your cowl *very* much. I LOVE the random surprise attitude: ...sheep, sheep, sheep, ALPACA, sheep ... you might tempt me to pick up knitting needles again yet.
    You are doing better than me in making use of apps like Zoom etc. I am not even well versed in basic things like Skype. I like the idea of board games etc. over the internet. Maybe we could try a cross-continental hookup sometime now that the pace of life is slower?
    In the meantime, let's wield our hooks! You are certainly very productive. Uber-crocheter indeed! It's really cool. Wishing you happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I've been invited by a friend to sign up to an online board games set up called "board game arena" so when I have worked it out, I will let you know more details if you are interested.

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.