Sunday, April 19, 2020

Yopping Update #42 - I NEED more stitch markers


Here I sit drinking BLACK coffee.  I ran out of milk yesterday and we won't get groceries until Tuesday afternoon.  I can do this. Right?  I added some collagen powder to the BLACK coffee - that is how desperate I am people.

Now, back to real problems.  I NEED more stitch markers.  Anyone that has been following my blog may remember a post I wrote years ago about my, ahem shall we say, 'problem' with stitch markers.
You can read about it here.

Anyways....I was working this week on getting caught up on the Wrapped in Jamie CAL and as a very newbie crocheter I was using a fair number of stitch markers to keep track of things - and for the most part I had enough.  Then this happened:

56 stitch markers!
Now as you can see I clearly had enough stitch markers - but I find the french pins don't slide in and out of the stitch as easily as the plastic ones.  So, already having a bad mental health day on April 14th (I think that was last Tuesday), I sent this text to my sister -

I think her response might be (by some) considered enabling behaviour


It may seem funny now (not), and clearly I meant to type gonna instead of goona, but I was in quite a state at the time.  I was also going to write a blog post this week called  - Fuck being brave, but as my uncle used to say - calmer heads prevailed.

So it has been that kind of a week.

Crocheting got done:

square 7 - The Duel
Scars - Square 8


Square 9 - Rebekkah
Border also done - but too lazy to take another picture
Pattern 10 is being released  at the end of the month - so I played around a little with the placement of the first nine squares:


There was some spinning and plying too:

50 meters
good colour for my one of the three kings I think
My sourdough starter took off


so I took out some discard and re-fed it.  My scottish heritage wouldn't let me throw out the discard so I made some yummy sourdough/cornmeal/blueberry/raspberry muffins.


I had nothing on my needles - and although the wool has been shipped for my daughter's sweater it hasn't arrived yet.  But my dear sister came to the rescue and this arrived by expedited post.

her son wants Victor the Viking for his car's antennae
which I have already made some progress on:
can we say labour of love?
There was a few zoom meetings, and even a zoom karaoke night which was silly fun and finally put a smile on my face.  Earlier in the day my twelve step group had a zoom meeting that took about 30 minutes for us all to get in and sorted.  I joked that now we all REALLY needed the meeting - and it was good to decompress surrounded by supporting friends.

I did get around to finishing the edits on my novel - now to finalize the formatting and then we shall see what comes next.  I am seriously thinking of just self-publishing as an ebook to get it out into the world.  But, as I said, we shall see.

We got an order of meat and dry goods on Friday, and on Tuesday we will put in an order for some fresh vegetable, fruit, and MILK!.  God help me - two more mornings of BLACK coffee.

We had a lovely whatsapp video chat with our daughter this morning.  Our grand-daughter kept pointing at us saying YOU!  Too cute.  She calls me Baku and my dh is Paku.  We love those names.

I finished the Neil Gaiman book, Anansi Boys, and I really enjoyed it.  Now I am starting The Last Station, by Jay Parini.  It is a novel about Tolstoy's Final Year.  I want to read the book before I see the movie.

I have been watching 800 Words on Acorn TV and enjoying it very much.  Low key drama about a father and two teenagers who move to New Zealand from Australia after the mom dies.  Lots of quirky locals to contend with, and beautiful scenery too.

Take care, dear readers, and don't bother suggesting solutions for my stitch marker addiction.  I know, I know admitting you have a problem is the first step.

no problems here!

11 comments:

  1. Golly gee, if I had your address I would mail you a butt load of plastic stitch markers. The kind you love. I have waaaaay too many of them. If you want them leave me a message on my ravelry email and I will mail them out to you.

    As for all those squares.....they look fantastic. How many in all will there be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first season there are 12. Then she plans a second and third season. Not sure if I will keep going, but 12 for sure, and then a border around them all. I think it will be perfect as a baby blanket, or a throw for the couch.

      Delete
  2. Looks pretty damned productive to me. I seeem to spend countless hours feeling like I should be doing something but have nothing to do when in fact i have a writing project for the Naval College blog, plus my own sadly intermittent blog, and some chapters to edit for a dear friend who is writing the incredible story of how he retrieved the pieces of crashed Lancaster Bombers from all over the Pacific region and restored a complete plane. I also have 2 simple craft projects. But my brain alternates between feeling stuffed with fog and cottonwool, and spinning its wheels to avoid falling into the black hole of doom. So you're my hero! Drinking black coffee is a last resort for me too. As for fun TV, does Acorn have Catastrophe? Friday Night Dinner? Upstart Crow? Or the fabulous wonderful Australian Offspring? I know you'd LOVE Offspring. The characters are nutty fabulous realistic lovable members of everyone's family ( and very well credangtialled Australian actors). You will get to hug that gorgeous little granddaughter again one day, but until then, the pics are totally adorbs. Stay strong. You're amazing. And hey, it's totally fine to have a "Fuck this " day. I think we should actually declare a World Fuck This Day. Shall we pick a day and both write a special blog entry to celebrate it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all I LOVE Offspring and I will check out the others you suggest. Secondly - yes!!!! Let's pick a day and both blog about Fuck this day....maybe we can get others to join in????

      Delete
    2. I'm in! Also I was going to say the same as Wendy - you seem pretty productive to me for someone dealing with high levels of anxiety etc. I have found myself with plenty of time but little motivation for a long time. In hindsight I can see that it was a manifestation of anxiety about the fact that my children continued to go out and about and seemed too cavalier for my liking about the risks of bringing infection into the house. Regular infection control, we are experts at, but in the beginning the covid-19 was such an unknown (and there still are heaps we don't know about this mystery virus)and it is so super scary that I was at my wit's end with worry about their welfare and mine!
      We're all a bit more settled now.
      800 Words - is that the one about the guy who is a writer who runs away to a beachside country town?

      Delete
  3. All the stitch markers! And yeah, the pins don't make the greatest stitch markers, I know, I've tried.

    And I feel your pain, we ran out of milk for tea the other day. Just got back from our shopping today (Sunday afternoon), and I've been reveling with milk in my tea along with my knitting!

    I have learned, however, that as a last-ditch effort, instant milk powder can be added to black coffee to make something mostly palatable. :D

    I can't wait to see more squares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it looks like you had a productive week, I have lots of the plastic stitch markers but don’t really use them much as I find them tricky to undo, but the fact they fit on fatter needles means I do keep them in my stash. Goodness it looks so complicated when you see the pins and I wonder if I’ll ever properly learn crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are keeping yourself busy! And your granddaughter is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gotta ask... does collagen powder taste much like milk? lol Zoom Karaoke sounds like a lot of fun. What did you sing??? And that picture of your granddaughter by the water is wonderful. The water and sky - so crystal clear. And that sweet little girl in her bright pink and yellow pants - the picture of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't sing, I just enjoyed everyone else! Put a smile on my face for sure. No, lol, it doesn't taste like milk, but does seem to soften the acidity of the coffee. At least it is good for me. Right?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.