Sunday, April 26, 2020

Yopping update #43 - The problem with baking at home....


I was craving a scone this week, and since I can't zip down to Delaney's to get one - I decided to try making some gluten free ones at home.  They worked!  The problem is that they taste best right out of the oven, with butter and jam, and the recipe made 11.  So there has been quite a few scones with tea this week.  So yummy.  I know I could freeze them, but where is the fun in that.

Today I started the dough for my first sourdough loaf (gluten free or otherwise) and I will report back next week.  Dutch oven and pizza stone at the ready.  Don't ask me, I am just following the recipe!

Now, onto the crafting.  I finished my nephew's viking:



Not as fiddly a knit and put together as I thought it might be.  Good old Alan Dart patterns are meticulously written up which is good.

Then I realized I had the right colours for my sock monkey ornament.

he looks more like yogi bear, but whatever
I was out of projects because the wool for my daughter's sweater hadn't arrived so I did a few more rows of the Spice of Life blanket, but then was out of colours until I finish the Wrapped in Jamie CAL.  I plan to use the left-overs from WIJ to finish the Spice of Life.  It seems my crochet is like dominoes - one project depending on another.  I did play around with a star ornament with some leftover yellow I had, but each time I was almost finished I ran out of wool.  So after losing at yarn chicken three times, I made a tiny one, and then put that on the back burner.

So what did I do when I couldn't continue crocheting anything.

I knit socks of course
These are for my granddaughter and I am sure they will fit her by the time I get to see her again.  I made the toddler size, TinCanKnits Rye lights, but the foot is 6 inches so they are definitely for a giant toddler or a regular sized child.  She can grow into them.  I was about to start on a pair for myself with three different leftover bits of brownish wool, but was saved because Petra released Square 10 on the Wrapped in Jamie CAL last night.

Hunter - Square 10
I got to  row 13 last night!

It was an up and down (mostly down) week mental health wise.  Some tears, some frustration, and a mini panic attack when I went out alone in the car to pick up some wool.  I did get the wool, as it was a contact-less pick-up, but I was freaked out about gate latches.  The wool is in the trunk of my car and will stay there until Tuesday.  It was lovely to see the cherry trees in bloom, and I drove up a street that was full of flowering dogwood trees.  Balm for the soul.  Our apple tree is just starting to bloom.  Spring is here.  Hope springs.

So about that wool pickup.  Someone posted on our knit group's Ravelry forum that they were de-stashing.  No harm in looking I thought.  Right?  Right.  Well she had this lovely green Fleece Artist wool - part of it already knit up - $150 worth of wool that she would let go for $30.  Could I say no?  In a word, no.  I am sure I will find something wonderful to make with it.  I made my daughter some socks out of Fleece Artist many years ago and I loved it.  So stay tuned.  Next week it will be out of my trunk, frogged and ready to go.

doesn't this just shout SPRING
I did five Abotti classes, and attended my CoDA meeting and a WW workshop all via zoom. We got groceries delivered on Tuesday and my dh went out and got a few other things on Wednesday so we are well stocked now.

Yesterday a friend picked up 40 pounds of kitty litter for Otis, so he is set for quite a while.  She stood on my front lawn and I stood in my doorway and we had a good old chin wag.  It was lovely to see her and I am so thankful for her friendship.  (She also dropped off some gluten free ginger cookies so my husband and I are enjoying those immensely.

I am missing my children so much, but today my daughter sent a number of pics and a video of our grand-daughter playing with her aunt's new puppy.  I think they will become fast friends.

The little yogini showing her new friend downward facing dog
Take care.  Be kind.  Stay calm.

6 comments:

  1. Having good days and bad days is perfectly normal during these strange times. I'm glad you got some more wool and pics and videos of your granddaughter. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - that viking is adorable. And those socks you knit for your granddaughter are sweet, too. That Fleece Artist yarn looks super squishy soft knit up. I can see why you couldn't resist. I hope you have a good week upcoming Mary-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if that isn't the cutest Viking I've ever seen! I've never tried an Alan Dart pattern but I have been tempted!
    You certainly got a lot done along with shopping,baking and your classes. I'm sorry you were feeling bad this past week. I pray this week will be better. What a great bargain on your yarn purchase! That is the cutest picture especially with your comment! Precious! Have a great week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Mr Viking. Great job on him. This past week seemed to be a breaking point for many ppl. It was for me too. Hopefully this coming week will be filled with unicorns and rainbows for all of us. Loved the photo of you grand. She is one busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well your nephew’s Viking looks cute (although it’s a myth that Vikings wore horned helmets...we had a Viking festival here some years ago and that’s when I found that out. I live in a town with a Nordic name ’Dingwall’ from the Nordic Tingwall, one of the places the Vikings landed!). Anyhoo, how fab to have got all that yarn for such a bargain price. The socks look unusual, like the flax jumper in knit form. Pretty cool. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that viking - enough details to be super cute but glad that it wasn't too fiddly for you. I am sorry that you have been on a downer. All you can do is to control the things you have control over. I'm glad you are well stocked now and that must bring some peace of mind.
    You can relax and sit tight now. Lots of knitting! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.