Sunday, May 3, 2020

Yopping Update #44 - Presents and Presence


Look what I got in the mail!

Presents
Blogger friends are awesome!!!  Now I can't wait for the next Wrapped in Jamie square to be released!  Here is my tenth square finished.

square 10 - Hunter


I also got the wireless earbuds I ordered through amazon so I can get up and down while listening to music without dragging my earbuds with me, or hooking them on every knob in the kitchen.  Baby steps people.

not really naked - wrapped in a towel
I frogged the partly knit sweater that was part of the wool I bought.  It took me about 8 hours.  One row was easy, but the curly locks row was very catchy and I had to be patient.  But I did it and have 250 gms of each kind of Fleece Artist Wool.  I think I am going to make a jacket out of it, but I won't decide until my daughter's sweater is finished.



easy to frog

soooo hard to frog
My daughter's sweater is coming along.  I have only had to tink back 4-5 rows twice.  Once when I saw a mistake in the lace, and the second time when I decided to change the increases from kfb (knit front and back, to M1.  It is an interesting construction - starting with 7 stitches and working in the round.



currently 266 stitches per round
I made a second attempt at gluten free sourdough.  It was more successful, but I have spent some time on youtube and I think I understand better that the dough should be quite gloopy and not like regular dough - so stay tune for attempt three next week.  I have been enjoying it, but it is still quite dense and chewy.


I got myself into quite a funk on Friday night because a) the dough wasn't cooperating, and b) neither was AcornTv.  I can get into quite a state if things don't go according to plan - like a dog with a bone - but after a good cry I let it go.  However, on Saturday I needed to shake things up a bit and I decided to make a couple of facemasks.  I am quite pleased with the results:

mine made with some african material my nephew gave me

my husband's made out of leftover denim

My husband got into quite a fit of giggles trying his on.  He said it was just the laugh he needed.  (Of course just looking at my Covid-19 hair style should give him lots to laugh at). 

(As an aside as I type this it is hailing outside - hmmmm this might affect my plans to walk down to the duck pond).

I sorted out my cd rack and have a bunch to give away and also re-organized all the different flours I have (the joys of being gluten free).  We got groceries delivered on Tuesday and my husband did the butcher pickup yesterday.  

I did my exercise class Mon - Fri even though on Wednesday I was less than enthused having needed a 3 hour nap because I was awake at 5:30am and by 11:30am I was not fit for anything.  

(By the way - still hailing). 

We had a nice four-way facechat with my son and daughter today and my grand-daughter was as charming as ever.  


Here she is 16 months old, standing with the 1500 year old olive tree that is near their home. 

Things are starting to open up a bit in other provinces, but not in ours yet.  I am glad for this.  Our health officer is very cautious.  Where my son lives (the next province over) they are starting to open up some stores.  Here he is at his favourite game store this weekend. 
(ok, now I just heard thunder)

So, back to the title of today's post - Presence.  I am going to be more present this week.  Listen better.  Not interrupt.  Breathe.  Avoid fixating on unfixable things - or at least be more aware to just let some things go until another time.  

And keep admiring the apple blossoms just outside my living room window.  

(now the sun is coming out). 

I am heading out for a short walk before the locusts arrive!

Blessings to you all this first Sunday in May. 
Be calm.  Be kind.  Be safe.

12 comments:

  1. Well I am impressed you persevered at unravelling mohair, I have friends who couldn’t tink back a row without being ready to throw it out. I admire your commitment to getting a perfect sourdough, I’m so pleased my out of date yeast still works.

    Your cute granddaughter within the tree...wow that’s some tree! I’m intrigued to know how the sweater progresses, so look forward to catching updates on it,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the weather report! I ripped out a tank yesterday and have to reknit now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary-Anne, what pattern are you using for your daughters sweater? It looks quite interesting. A very pretty color.

    I am impressed that you managed to unravel all that yarn. Especially the mohair. Ugh, so time consuming.

    Your face masks loom great. Good job. I find find them a bit hot after about an hour in our 100 plus degrees.

    As always, your grand daughter is so precious. And being able to have a zoom with her and althea rest of the family....priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is called Warm Circle. It is a Drops pattern 140-35. You can see the link on my project page.

      Delete
  4. Loving the gangsta-just-outta-bed mask pics.
    I took a walk to a grocery store for provisions to attempt my first bread baking and it has been closed. Guess not. And on-line exdercise classes have been abandoned due to etreme lack of either space or motivation.So yet again, you're way ahead of me. Stay well.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no space, but I do it all within the confines of about 3/4 of my yoga mat! When I wear the facemask I feel like I should hold up a stage coach (of course I have been watching too much Westworld so that could be the issue there.

      Delete
  5. You must have used up all your patience on that yarn and had none left over for the bread! LOL! I think we have a certain quota and when it's used up you have to wait until the next day until your patience fills back up. I love all your pretty stitch markers and congrats on the earbuds! Your daughter's sweater is lovely. Good for you making your own face masks and gluten free bread. Glad you got to face-time with your family and of course, we all love seeing your granddaughter! Have a good week and remember about letting your patience "refill" before doing another patience draining activity! LOL! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have breaking points - mine came last week when my DIL quoted my Grandson asking "Why don't Nanny & Grandpa come visit me?" Had me in tears but then I think about people like you and my DILs parents who are overseas and I count myself lucky to have spent so much time with my grandchildren and know that I will do again. I just need more patience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your masks, Mary-Anne! And your earbuds sound great! I wonder if I could find some to work on my phone? Being wired up is a real drag sometimes. And I have to say I'm laughing over you telling us you were wrapped in a towel in that picture. It does look like you might be sitting there in the buff. LOL

    Love the pictures of your face-chat. I've really got to learn how to do a screen save. So glad for you (and all grandparents) that this technology is available today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mine work with my phone really well. Aukey-EP-T21. Good value. I got mine through amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stitch markers! One can always use a few more. What a nice friend you have. When I first started crocheting I never had enough. I am also accustomed to losing them, leaving a trail wherever I go like Hansel and Gretel. At the moment the stitch marker count has been stable as I have been much better at keeping track of them.

    As for catching the earbuds on every knob and handle - that's one of my tricks too. Drives me nuts! I prefer to use the mic and headphone set on my phone so I don't have a transmitter too close to my skull plus the mic/speaker quality is more intelligible. However I like to only use one earbud while the other ear is free to hear the ambient sounds. I don't like the idea of not being able to hear the world around me (or how loud I am chatting when on the phone.) Consequently, the unused earplug tends to hang down and get caught on things, ripping out the other earplug in the middle of conversation. The problem is that I can't just sit and talk on the phone - I'm always doing something menial around the house at the same time.
    Your wireless earbuds are a great solution.

    It is good that your state is more cautious with opening up activities. I worry about asymptomatic carriers and the risk of transmission once people all get out and about again. I am not planning to mingle in public just yet. I imagine you will be very careful to protect your heart etc. I hope you have plenty of support around you so that you can avoid too much exposure to anything nasty.
    Take care! Thinking of you. x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.