Sunday, May 31, 2020

Yopping Update #48 - The difference a week makes


I had a much better week this week. So there is that.

I finished my Petty Harbour socks:

great use of leftover sock yarn x 3 colours
I started on my Wrapped in Jamie Square 11 - Next of Kin

but then had a major yarn chicken loss.

I frogged and hemmed and hawed about changing colours.  I then decided to try a two colour square - a brand new challenge for me, the novice crocheter.
I decided to try it first with some cotton I had in my stash.  If it didn't work I would still have a usable dish cloth.

It worked!

So onto the real deal:

Ta-Da
I have 4 more rows of the border to finish today and then I am caught up once again.  Then I can resume my Spice of Life Blanket because I have some leftover yarn (red and green) that I now know I won't need for Wrapped in Jamie.  I have lots of blue and white left over which I think I will use to join the squares (blue), and then do a border around the whole blanket (white).

I forgot to show you last week that I made two ear saver thingies for my hubby's and my masks.

  

I have been working on my list for the next year of YOPPING.  I don't know what I will cast-on tonight  - maybe I will get back to the spinning wheel.  (Didn't I say that last week?)

I had to go out twice this past week - once for a blood test on Wednesday, and yesterday for an MRI.
I was nervous about being in the buildings but both places made me feel very safe in regards to CoVid-19.

It was my first experience having an MRI.  Man are they ever loud!! Luckily I am not claustrophobic because it is a very, very small chamber than put you inside for 45 minutes.  Did I mention how LOUD it was.  I was thankful for my yoga breathing training, and that the technician had a very calming presence and voice. My doctor should have the results by Tuesday.

I walked outside by the ocean after my blood test, and I did manage to exercise everyday this past week.  I joined via My Virtual Mission app to walk the Camino de Santiago.  I had wanted to do this in person the year I turned 65 (this year), but my hip, and the ban on international travel put a kibosh on that!  With My Virtual Mission I enter my mileage everyday and the app sends me postcards of where I am with pictures and historical/geographical points of interest.  I can also see myself on the map.  It is 480.9 miles and I have given myself until the end of this year to finish as at this point I can manage to walk about 2.5 miles a day.  Although yesterday I clocked 3 miles (I danced for an hour).

There have been lots of phone chats with my son (he is looking for an apartment) and video chats across the miles with my daughter and grand-daughter.  Here is a screen shot I captured as we were saying our goodbyes last night (their morning).

Have a good week all and remember:

Be safe.  Be kind.  Be calm. 

new masks came in the mail this week too

6 comments:

  1. You did quite well with the two tone jamie square. Guess you showed that yarn that you are way smarter than it is. Your petty harbor socks turned out great too. I have made that pattern one time and found it to be quite fun to do. Your grand baby is just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 2 tone Jamie Square as it really makes the pattern stand out! I adore the Petty Harbour socks. I need to go look for that pattern.
    You are much braver than me for the MRI! They had to tranquilize me! LOL!
    I need to find that Virtual Mission app. I remember reading about a famous actress/dancer that walked that trail. I walk every day and that would be very interesting! I wonder if they have the Appilachian Trail?
    Your grand daughter is as precious as ever! Glad you are feeling better this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a better week and hope your test results are ok. what a shame you got so close to finishing that square - it must have been so annoying lol. We managed a visit - still social distancing - with our Grandson today for the first time in weeks. It was extra special as it was his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling and I love your socks!
    Lovely pics of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you are feeling much better this week. The socks look great. Oh I hate playing yarn chicken and losing. The two colour squares are unusual, I haven’t seen this sort of decorative pattern in other squares I don’t think. Crochet may be something I concentrate more on next YOP year, and I’m also mid drafting my (enormous) list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Petty Harbour socks look so nice. The Jamie squares are a real study in texture when done in solid colors, but it's also fun to see the design so clearly when using two colors. I hope you get useful results soon from your tests. And I'm glad you had a better week last. Hope it's continuing!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.