Sunday, June 7, 2020

Yopping Update #49 - Getting down to the wire


Week 49 already.  Three more updates before we start the madness all over again.  I can't wait to share my list with you very soon.  

But, this week seemed to be all about the doctors. 

a) Dentist - I postponed until the fall
b) GP - reminding me to follow-up with Neurologist
c) Neurologist - MRI showed no change so all good for follow-up next May
d) Cardiologist with Sleep Test results - nothing to see here that would be affecting my heart
e) MRI dept. called with appointment for my heart MRI - end of June

Phew - glad that is all over - except upcoming MRI but I feel better prepared now that I have had one recently (Did I mention how NOISY they are?)

I have been getting outside for walks almost every day this week - either to the duck pond at the end of my street, or the ocean walk, or the forest a short drive away. My hip is sore but I can usually manage about 2km at a time. 

Can you guess what this is a close-up of?


Combined with the steps I get in doing my aerobic workout every day I have logged 33 miles on the Virtual Camino de Santiago.  I set my goal to finish by December 31st, but there is part of me that would like to complete it before my 65th birthday.  I had wanted to walk the actual Camino this year, but CoVid-19 and my hip had other plans.  It is a cool app because everyday when I enter my mileage I get a street view of where I am on the walk. 

Now - knitting.  I finished Bug Warmer for my dear grand-daughter.  I made a size 3, so I am hoping that I will see her before then to give it to her.

 
I also decided to frog my dear Aunt's hot water bottle cover that I use every night.  The yarn was disintegrating.  I plan to re-knit one side with the salvaged yarn, and make the other side with some left-overs in my stash.


This (See the holes)



became this

On Wednesday I decided to re-file a bunch of patterns I had scattered about.  This also helped me find patterns I want to knit for Year of Projects 10.  (Although it will be year 5 for me).  I cleaned up my queue and I am feeling quite smug about how organized I am. 

On Thursday when I got home from my walk I had two issue of Simply Knitting waiting for me.  I spent the afternoon drinking tea, leafing through the mags and doing the puzzles that are included in each issue.  Heavenly. 

On Friday I went to the post office all by myself and was pleased at the social distancing measures the store had in place.  I am slowly developing my brave warrior self and venturing out in public. 

So that has been my week.  It is clear looking at my list of projects for next year I will have to purchase some yarn in the near future.  I have lots of bibs and bobs of leftover yarn, but very few full skeins, and certainly no sweater quantities. 

This week I walked into the kitchen and saw this:

Can you see the blossom that is in the process of falling but is caught by a spider web. 

Reluctant to fall - my new motto

Yesterday on my walk I was delighted to hear and then see a beautiful house finch singing over my head.  Every day when I walk I see or hear something remarkable.  When I got home I saw a giant raccoon in the next door neighbour's backyard.  Oh, and I have a giant wolf spider living under the shower stall in my bathroom.  We have an uneasy truce as long as he (she?) stays there - I am sure there are some bugs she(he?) can rid the basement of as long as he(she?) doesn't get up onto the counter.  He (she?) seems as shy of me as I am of him (or her) so I will let her (him) be.  (Who is this woman?  I used to be FREAKED out by spiders of any kind.)

There have been lots of lovely phone calls with my son, and video calls with my daughter and her family.  My grand-daughter is growing so fast and she is such a delight on our video calls. 

Can't wait until I can read with her one day

Until next week dear Readers.  Remember: Be Safe.  Be Kind.  Be Calm.

PS:  I know, I know.  No news on the spinning front.  The wheel is right beside me, mocking me.  I promise to spin this week.  Maybe even today...... stay tuned. 

10 comments:

  1. That wee sweater is adorable. I pray you will soon be able to go over and give it to the little angel. What a great way to keep your Aunt's knitting part of the revamped hot water bottle holder. Your walks sound lovely. You are getting some good miles in on the Camino. Is that a Salmon Berry in the photo? It is very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a salmon berry - or what is left of one after someone or some bird picked it off. I love the red lashes.

      Delete
  2. Ok sorry about that test. I just wrote such a long comment and lost it. So I'm now trying Samsung browser and that seems to have worked! Anyhoo!

    I don't know that plant, nothing I've seen here. We had a TV show with some TV celebrities walking the El Camino trail and it was beautiful but they found it tough and there were some tears along the way...an emotional and spiritual journey for some. I hope one day you get to travel it, but in the meantime your app sounds a perfect substitute. Well done on braving the shops. I am going to the garden centre tomorrow and that will be my first time in a shop for 8 weeks! I've forgotten my pin number for my credit card! I'm hoping it will magically come back to me as places aren't keen on using cash. Only food, hardware and nursery stores are open so far. Shame you need to go in the noisy claustrophobic tube again...my husband has been in one and he said it was very loud, but he listens to rap music very loud so you'd think his ears would be used to it, but even he found it uncomfortably loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The TV show was called Pilgrimage: Road to Santiago....just in case it's on one of your streaming services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't know about that first picture, but the little blobules look kind of like pomegranate seeds. Are you going to tell us what it is - or are you depending on us to identify it? lol It sounds like you've had a good week, and that little Bug Warmer looks adorable - perfect for your adorable granddaughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up Marsha's guess. I cast my vote for Salmon Berry. A half-eaten Salmon Berry. Never heard of it before.

      Delete
    2. Yup. a partially eaten salmon berry it is!

      Delete
  5. Your grand-daughter's sweater is so precious! What lovely yarn you used and she is going to look so cute in it. I do pray you get to give it to her in person. I have never heard of or seen a Salmon Berry in my life! Where have I been?
    I have written down that app for virtual walking...I totally forgot last week. How do you count your miles? Do you have a pedometer? I've gotten a few but they never work right. Do you know of a good one? Glad you got through your appointments and all is going well!
    You are very industrious to take apart the hot water bottle cover.
    Take care and stay safe and well!
    P.S. Your granddaughter is as cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a fitbit the records steps, but I use the Strava app to track my outdoor walks it shows me a map of where I have walked and the distance. Some people use a pedometer app on their phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your granddaughter steals the show! Bug warmer is gorgeous and I have never heard of a salmon berry I'm going to look it up.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.