Sunday, June 14, 2020

Yopping Update #50 - Spinning finally


Yes.  The spinning wheel's nagging paid off and I finished the first 38 gms of this lovely gray. Only 76 more grams to go.  (And I will get started on the next bobbin today.)

Merino/bamboo/nylon


The hot water bottle cover is coming along - slowly but surely.




And, I started another sweater for myself.  A light weight alpaca cover up for the summer evenings.

Amiga


I may be too hopeful that I will ever get to use this sweater because it has been raining heavily for what seems like days and days.  It does often clear for a short time in the late afternoons so we can get out for a short walk, but as soon as the sun goes down it is too cold to sit outside, sweater or not!

So much continuing on in the world - CoVid-19, BlackLivesMatter, and another unacceptable police interaction with an aboriginal person in Canada.  I am listening.  I am learning.  I will do better.  I will speak up.

My dear son-in-law's family is reeling this week over the sudden death of their mother's partner.  A tragic motorcycle accident has taken a wonderful man, far far too young.  My daughter looked so tired and sad when we Whatsapped with her last night.  I am so far away and feel so helpless.  My grand-daughter was her charming self and I am sure her presence is helpful to them all. 

Sigh.  Life does go on, but sometimes I just want 2020 to realize that enough is enough.  Everyone thought 2012 was going to be a pivotal year in all our lives.  It is not even the half way point of this year and so much has happened to us all. 

This past week I took part in watching, via zoom, the graduating class of our school present a radio play on Friday and their graduation ceremony yesterday.  Technology was challenging for both events (and for my twelve step meeting yesterday morning).  First my speaker inside my computer quit so I missed the last 3 minutes of the radio play, and then on Saturday after I fixed the speaker my microphone quit. What?  Really?  Yes, really.  As of this morning both are working, fingers crossed.  My dh suggested that my computer is 4 years old, but the thought of investigating and buying a new computer was very unsettling. 

Fortunately I was able to contact one of the student's and found out how the play ended.  Whew.  Dealing with the microphone issue, I zoomed into a meeting on both my computer and my phone...on the computer I could see everyone in the gallery view, and then used my phone so I could take part in the meeting discussions.  I was happy to kludge together a fix yesterday morning, but it did kick up my anxiety and it took me a few hours to settle back down.  I realize how dependent I have become on technology to stay connected to many of my social groups and I am relieved this morning that things are working smoothly again.  (Knock on wood).

This weekend both my dh and I are feeling anxious, and helpless and at loose ends.  Thankfully we have been able to get out for some fresh air, eagle and heron spotting, and some ocean views and sun. 

I pray that you are all well, and safe, and holding your loved ones close to your hearts.



Breakfast time 


9 comments:

  1. Like the color of your sweater. What weight will your yarn be when completed? DK? Fingering? I hope your computer stays healthy. Buying a new one and getting it set up is a royal pain in the arse! So sorry to here about the family death. I can only imagine how hard it is to be an Ocean away from your daughter during this time if grief. Stay well and enjoy the sunshine when it appears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aiming for fingering, but most likely it will be sport weight. I am making it 3ply so we shall see.

      Delete
  2. These are very unsettling times and I think we're all being affected by them even if we are in better circumstances than others. I hope the technology continues to work for you - it is indeed a lifeline at times. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh look at that spinning! Love it and your sweater.
    I'm so sorry about the death in the family, I'm sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little cheeks are just BEGGING to be kissed!
    So precious.
    I understand your sorrow and frustration completely.Sending empath love.
    This small world can seem impossible huge sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those yarns you are working with. I need to see about spinning this coming year. Do you think I should start with the hand spinning? I forget the name of it but I have one. I should put that on my list for the coming YOP year.
    Your spinning is so lovely and the color of the cover and the sweater are gorgeous.
    So sorry for the loss in your family. My ex died this past week but he was so nasty to me over the years,,,he and his wife both that I felt bad for what could have been as opposed to what was. I grieved years ago but especially for how it (and he and his wife) affected my children.
    I try to forget the unfairness in the world and pray for the safety of those who are protesting it.
    Your grand daughter is so precious and she brings a smile to so many of us...thank you! Children are a lesson is how to live and enjoy the moment. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop spindle is what the hand spinning is called. I found it very difficult until I was more confident with spinning with my wheel. Then I did get to the drop spindle when I am travelling in my camper. I have fond memories of spinning in the campsite in SanFrancisco and in Las Vegas by the pool! Sad to hear about your ex too. Yes, sometimes grief is more about what could have been rather than what was. I sadly felt that way when my mother died.

      Delete
  6. I’m so sorry to hear your family’s news, how you must long for the day you can hold your daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter in your arms again and give them a hug, but in the meantime thank goodness we have this technology, even with all its quirks and frustrations.
    Yay for getting back to spinning, it’s the one thing that does really quieten my mind, more so than knitting. Take care x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.