Sunday, April 12, 2020

Yopping Update #41 - Ooops I did it again


Yes, I did do it again.  My dear daughter wanted a sweater and I didn't have any wool in my stash so I found the perfect washable Cascade 220 aran weight and I ordered it from back east.  The store is called Wool Tyme and because of the quantity I ordered the shipping was free plus they donate 10% of your order amount to a local food bank.  I call that a win-win.  I was notified it was shipped yesterday so next week I should have photo proof.  (So much for prolonged stash-busting this year).

I spun half of this:



But mostly I have been crocheting the squares from Black Sheep Crochet - Wrapped in Jamie CAL.


Guard his Right - Square 4

Goodbye Mama - Square 3
Today I will start the border on square 7 - The Duel, and then two more squares and I will be caught up with the CAL as square 9 was recently released.  I think by then the wool will have arrived for my daughter's sweater.

The Duel - Square 7 
I love the design with the crossed swords with the heart in the middle.


I also got out this pattern to knit a nativity scene.  I think I will have enough of this and that in my worsted stash to begin these sometime in the near future.  Or maybe they will be on my list of projects starting in July!



I have been zooming a lot!!  Exercise classes, dance parties, happy hours, and yesterday morning a yopping zoom.  It was so wonderful to see and chat with new friends, and I can't wait to do it again.  I hope more yoppers join next time.  Thankful to Maria for setting it up.

There has been lots of whatsapp video chats with our daughter, grand-daughter and son-in-law.  Today we got a picture of said grand-daughter peeling her first dyed easter egg.


We also got one of her splashing in the sea with her momma.  So special to stay connected this way.



We got our groceries delivered on Tuesday, and still no bread yeast, so with urging from my son I began a sourdough starter on Friday.  It is starting to smell yeasty, and since I didn't have any cheesecloth I wrapped it in one of my grandmother's very thin linen table cloths.

I see bubbles.  Do you see bubbles?

I think the holes will allow the yeast in and keep the flies out
We are still being vigilant here so as not to possibly infect each other as my husband has had to go out a few times - one was to get storage insurance for our truck.  They wouldn't do it over the phone. Grrrr.

Separate bedrooms, separate bathrooms, and now I have his and her dishes on the table so we don't have to keep reaching into the cupboards.  The tulips were a lovely gift from a friend when she dropped off the much needed cat food for Otis.  Otis is soooo happy to have his usual food back in his dish.

Top Right is a Betty Magnet (that is my side),
Top Left is an Archie Magnet (that is his side).  lol
I will end with a little levity.  Every night at 7pm people in and around Vancouver neighbourhoods go out on their porches to make noise to cheer on the Health Care Workers.  People set off fireworks, bang pots and pans, set off car horns, and cheer.  I have been taking my grandfather's bugle out onto the porch.  My husband couldn't resist getting it on camera.   Enjoy!




To follow other yoppers their links are up at the top right of this post.  Stay well.  Stay home.  Stay connected.

Zoom on. (or text, or email, or even use the land line telephone.  What?  Really!)


9 comments:

  1. Wow it's wonderful that you are cheering on your workers every day. We do it here on Thursdays and yes there is much clapping, banging of pans etc but no bugles that I know of! lol. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the bugle! Good job. :) Your Wrapped in Jamie is coming along so great -- I love the colors. It was great to "meet" you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There’s a lot of characters in your nativity so I’d probably need to start now if it was me and they’d still not be ready 😂 then I’d forget where I’d put them. I LOVE the smile on her face peeling the egg, so sweet. I hope your soda bread works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Mary-Anne. I do love that square and am glad you pointed out the crossed swords and little hearts!

    How funny is that picture of your granddaughter peeling her first Easter egg. And smashing it! lol And what fun to see you blowing that bugle. We had brass bugles for a while. When I was recently deciding to rehome them, I tried to give them one last blow and it was HARD! So Yay You!

    Good to meet you yesterday, and I look forward to doing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, sourdough. It looks like it is taking off perfectly. Grandma's tablecloth is perfect for that purpose. I really like the squares you are doing. The cross sword with hearts is cool. Your bugle playing cracked me up. How special for you to salute the workers that way, though. It was so great to meet you yesterday. It was amazing to me how we never wanted for conversation during the entire session. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your bugle playing! So you've joined the sourdough party? I made my second sourdough bread this week, it's just so much fun to see the dough rise and work its magic. Amazing how happy a few bubbles can make me. LOL.
    Have you decided on a pattern to use for the sweater yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is an interesting design. It looks like a giant circle with arm holes in the middle so you can wear it upside down or right side up. I'll post link on Sunday!

      Delete
  7. I do see bubbles! I am going to try a beer bread tomorrow. Love the look on your granddaughters face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! Love your bugle. Come on, I thought you were going to play the theme to 2001: A Space Odyssey (Also Sprach Zarathustra Opus 30 by Richard Strauss). You can do it! We have brass players in our family so I found your bugle playing highly amusing. :-) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.