Sunday, October 25, 2020

Yopping Update #17 - Learning (and re-learning) new tricks

It is 9pm and I am just getting to the weekly update.  Although I had a good day yesterday, today wasn't so great and I just couldn't get much done.  

Progress this week:

I did get all the pieces finished for the Nativity scene.  If I don't procrastinate too much I should get some of the pieces assembled in the week to come.


To distract myself when the endless piece work was on-going I started a pair of socks with two (to me) techniques.  German short rows so the toe is skewed, and a shadow wrap heel.  It took me three tries to get the wraps correct on the toe so there were no holes, and the first sock, although finished, is a bit big. It is knit toe up, and I wasn't sure how deep this shadow heel was going to be. I have started the second the next size down.  If I am happy with the fit, I will just re-knit the first sock - it is not like I don't have time on my hands. This is a free pattern on Ravelry called Tipsy Toe Socks. I am knitting using a 2.5mm nine inch circular - my favourite needle for sock knitting. 

I added a shell pattern on the front of the leg to honour my virtual Camino de Santiago walk


I finished all the October de-cluttering.  I had the last three days of October to finish and so I tackled my teaching boxes.  I recycled 30 pounds (yes, pounds) of paper plus put together a box of books and resource materials to donate to the school.  It took me a day and a half to go through all my files, and it feels good to have less on the shelves.  

So that is my week.  Short post today - I am just not feeling like writing anything else.  I did have a good day yesterday (one out of seven) and here is a picture of the beach we sat at for a couple of hours.  It was cool (8 degrees Celsius) but the sun was glorious. 


9 comments:

  1. Those socks are interesting. I have contemplated making them but not sure I want to yet. I will wait until you finish the second one. I hope next week will be a better week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the need to send you a virtual hug across the world. 🤗 Your sock makes my eyes go funny like an optical illusion, when they are finished I’d love a snap of them on your feet, they are so interesting and quirky and I wonder how feet look in them and whether the optical illusion continues. A fun project. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the beach photo....and you have your work cut out for you with sewing together that nativity group. The socks sound way over my head...good luck with them. I hope you feel better. I think it's the change of seasons...I've been exhausted for no good reason! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope the coming week is much better for you. What an interesting sock pattern. I'm curious how it feels when you wear it. Amazing how much difference sunshine makes even on a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job getting your October de-clutter taken care of!
    And those socks are REALLY neat looking! I've been seeing German Short-Rows pop up quite a bit lately. I'm going to try them, simply out of curiosity. Can't wait to see the finished pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beach looks wonderful, I really hope this week is kinder to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading Liz's (Heffalump's) response above I feel better about not understanding what I'm seeing when I look at that picture of your socks. I see a heel on both, and on one I recognize the ribbing, but I don't see where the foot actually goes. Is this an optical illusion.

    I hope you get to feeling better soon, friend. I do love that picture of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks are looking lovely but sooo complicated lol. I hope this week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beach at any time of year - always invigorating. I hope the fresh coastal air is helpful for your lungs.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.