Sunday, November 1, 2020

Yopping Update #18 - It's a beginning

First of all, I have finished the Tipsy Toe Socks.  It does create quite the optical illusion.  These are toe up socks, but the cast-on edge sits askew on the foot rather than in the centre so that short rows can create the diagonal lines.  I am very happy with the finish, even though I had to knit the sock three times instead of two because these seem to fit big. Plus on the first sock I had to rip out the toe three times until I got the shadow wraps working properly.  All in all a great learning experience.  It is a free pattern which you can find here and there is a good picture that explains where the cast-on edge is and how the wedges work to create the illusion.  The leg is suppose to be a plain stocking knit, but I added a Camino de Santiago shell to commemorate the virtual walk I am doing.  I only have 85 more miles to go!!

I love fraternal socks!

Then it was onto the Nativity scene.  One night I worked on the manger and the baby Jesus.  The next night it was the three sheep.  The next was the three kings crowns, and their gifts.  Yesterday morning I worked on sewing up seven pairs of hands, and last night I started to put the bodies together.  
Here is my progress so far:

We turned off our porch light last night to signal we weren't opening the door to trick-or -treaters but we did carve ourselves a pumpkin and enjoyed it through the evening. 

group effort carving with dh

It was my grand-daughter's first Hallowe'en.  What a little devil!!


I am feeling much better this week.  The sun has been out, and I have had a few lovely walks in the autumn leaves.  Today I even raked some of them up!  

I hope you are all doing well, and to follow other yoppers you can check the links at the top right hand side of this post. 



6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you took a picture of those socks on your feet. Now, I completely understand. :) Are they comfortable? Your knitted nativity figures look so good! It will be fun to watch them get decked out. Your jack-o-lantern looks awesome. And your granddaughter looks like she's enjoying herself. Glad you're feeling better, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are a masterpiece, especially considering the number of attempts it got to achieve the final effect. Well done! Your granddaughter is an angel. Yes halloween was celebrated differently here too this year. Our local community organised a walk to see all the decorated houses but no door knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks are AMAZING!! The yarn was a perfect pick. I may have to try those next time I cast-on a sock.

    It seems putting together that Nativity Scene is going REALLY quick! I am excited to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks are crazy. I am impressed with your talent of making them. The nativity set is really shaping up. We do not open our doors for trick or treaters either. Our neighborhood is mostly high schoolers now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are amazing I may have to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE those socks - so aptly named! :-)

    (It's doing my head in just trying to work them out - not a knitter) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.