Sunday, November 22, 2020

Yopping Update #21 - For unto us a child is born


 I have finished the Nativity scene (well except for the shepherds' hooks and Joseph's staff. ) 

I ran out of light green on pattern five of the Havana, and my order hasn't yet arrived from KnitPicks so I spent the week researching free patterns and then knitting the missing pieces of my Nativity scene.  

The wisemen's camel



Mary's donkey



The ox



And Angel Gabriel



As of last night I had nothing on my needles and nothing left to stuff or sew together.  Ok, I could have started whittling the crooks and staff, but it wasn't something I was going to start at 10pm.

I am very please with the results and the top of my piano looks amazing!

Today I will start the mother Kangaroo and her baby with my homespun, and of course there is always spinning to do while I wait for my wool order. 

Other than knitting all the animals for the manger scene it has been a quiet (ish) week.  I did get my pneumonia shot on Monday and at the same time had a whack of blood tests (9 vials!!).  So far all results are good.  I am scheduled to have an in-hospital day-procedure so the doctors can look around my lungs - but I am wondering if it will be postponed due to the rise in CoVid cases.  There has been an outbreak at my local hospital so I am not hopeful that they can fit me in anytime soon.  

I have been walking outside everyday, rain or shine (only one day of shine) and discovering new trails in my neighbourhood which is breaking up the routine a little. 

I have noticed many houses are putting up their Christmas lights and it is very cheery, what with November skies, and CoVid lockdown ,so I think today I will follow suit.  This is a huge departure for me as I usually don't decorate for Christmas until around the 21st  of December.  Sometimes even as late as Christmas Eve as was my family's tradition.  However, this year I think I need all the twinkling lights I can find to brighten the evenings. 

Our province is under travel restrictions - don't leave your own municipality, and also no visitors to your house - only socialize with the ones you live with.  When we went to the beach yesterday for a short walk it seemed that many people weren't following the recommendations.  The basketball court and skatepark were full of people, none with masks, and definitely not social distancing.  It made us nervous so we walked on the sand as the seawalk was also very crowded.  It was a lovely walk though - the sun was setting and shining on the ocean and when we turned around the snow on the local mountains was shining with gold.  

I am progressing on my virtual Camino walk - only 32 miles to go.  I have a friend doing the same walk and she is closer to the finish line, so this week we are going to pick another challenge to do once we reach this finish line.  Stay tuned. 

I am going to rake some more leaves before the rains start again.  The cedar fall looks beautiful, as do the maple leaves, but the lawn is thick with them, as is the driveway, and when wet the leaves are very slippery. 

We have had many lovely video chats with our grand-daughter - many featuring her new kitty whom she calls Black Kitty so I think the name is going to stick.  

I pray you are all well and safe and busy with hobbies, or raking, or walking, or whatever will take your mind off the current situation of our lives.  2020 - a year for the history books indeed. 

Here is picture from last night's video chat - gd was concentrating very hard on the coins she was cooking in her little frying pan.  She is wearing a lovely sweater hand-knit by her auntie, my sister.



9 comments:

  1. The nativity set is so cute. It has really turned out to be quite a lovely thing. I hope all your tests come back 100% normal. Nine vials of blood is a lot. Good grief. I thought the 3 I give every 6 months was a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great holiday. It is tough this year with not being able to have the normal family gatherings. Enjoy your new nativity set. Congrats on maintaining your walking despite the weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful nativity set and an heirloom for sure. You do such beautiful work. I looked into the virtual walks and it looked so cool until I picked one and found it was going to cost me $78! LOL! Congratulations on your finish line in sight! I read the book years ago that the actor/dancer (I forget her name) wrote about when she walked the El Camino.
    As for Covid, I don't know what our restrictions are but I only go to the drive up at my pharmacy and pickup at Walmart for groceries. Everything else is ordered online. Your gd is precious as always. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary-Anne,
    A quick check-in to see how you are faring. I am concerned that Covid is all around. Wishing for your safety and that you stay as well as you can be! Reading has been tricky for me this year - difficulty with focus - but I am still hoping to see that light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is in 2021. There must be so much news of yours to catch up on. Please forgive me for being an infrequent correspondent this year.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Your Nativity Scene is adorable. Such fine work. Your nimble fingers are never idle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nativity set is great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your going to whittle crooks and staffs?!? Now I'm totally impressed. It's a beautiful nativity set. Your knitting is superb. Be sure to show us your finished whittlins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm blown away with your nativity scene! All the pieces are so great. This is definitely an heirloom worthy project!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your nativity is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.