Sunday, November 29, 2020

Yopping Update #22 - Christmas Knitting done

 


Jumping right in with today's update.  I go a new phone on Friday so I have been playing around with the set up and trying not to get frustrated because it doesn't work the same as my old one.  But hey, learning new things is good for the old brain, right?

Once I finished making the staff and shepherds' crooks for my nativity scene I was projectless!

wrapped leather around pipe cleaners 

whittled Joseph's staff

My Knitpick order hasn't arrived yet so the Havana is still in timeout.  I started the Kangaroo mother with baby, but I kept messing up the stitch count - newbie crocheter here and I always have trouble finding the end of one round and the beginning of the next so it was put into timeout for bad behaviour. Mine.

Then I remembered I had some Christmas Knitting to do for my son.  He wanted a helmet liner, but with a piece that goes down over his shoulder for extra warmth when skiing.

So I cast on a top down sweater with a provisional cast-on, and then when I got to the place to divide for the sleeves I bound it off.  I then picked up the provisional cast-on and made the helmet as the pattern prescribed. 

I ended up with this:


I even modelled it ( a bit big on me)


So last night I inventoried my remaining stash, and today I will get back to the Mother Kangaroo and hope that my wool order is over the border and winging its way to me so the Havana can be resumed.  I do have an Advent knit starting December 1st - another gnome-a-long - which I am very much looking forward to.

I got out this past week for quite a few long (wet) walks.  Friday I had my bronchoscopy and between the sedative wearing off and the after-procedure cough - I have laid pretty low the past two days.  I hope to get out for a short walk today if I can find a place with fewer (or better yet, no) other people.  

I didn't get my Christmas lights up yet, as planned, so after I do the laundry I am going to dig them out and put them around the window.  I am also going to dig around for my raingear which I think is also in the basement, or maybe the camper.  If I am going to keep up with my hour walks in the rain I need better outerwear. 

And so, December is almost here....Christmas is going to be very different this year...simpler, missing family, but Christmas will still come.  It always does. 

I will leave you with this cutie-pie.

who? Me?


10 comments:

  1. E: 'who ate the cheese?" L: "Who? me? are you talking to me? I'm the only one here"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great helmet liner. A very clever design. No need for a scarf with that on. The shepherds' hooks and Joseph's staff came out good. Very clever. More gnomes! How exciting. Can't wait to see them. I love all the ones you have done so far. Your Grand Daughter is cuter with each photo you post. I pray this virus will stop so you can go and hold her in your arms again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that expression is adorable, what a great idea to knit a helmet liner for keeping him toasty on the slopes. Your finished nativity is wonderful. I hope you yarn arrives soon, the colder weather is perfect to be crocheting a blanket and it’s so suited for wearing whilst working on as there’s no turning it over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for keeping up your walking even in the rain. I am a fair weather walker. Which I why I'm looking forward to Florida in Jan. I will be walking every day there. My husband is a fitness fanatic so he will definitely make sure to walk every day. Enjoy your yarn when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love embiggening the pictures of your nativity figures and seeing them up close. They are knitted so fine and each one has such character. Well done, Mary-Anne! That helmet liner is awesome. :) And your sweet granddaughter's look is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't get over the nativity set....very beautiful. The "hoodie" turned out great! You are so talented. I can barely follow directions much less make one up on the fly! Who me? is as cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The balaclava/hat-neck warmer thing is really awesome!! I bet it will be perfect for outdoor winter fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your nativity set is adorable - especially the animals with their little legs. It is hard to get skinny legs to support the bodies. I love the little details like the whittled staff and crook.
    Regarding the kangaroo worked in the round, I will usually have some scrap thread to mark the beginning and end of each round or I will put a marker on the first stitch of a round so by the time I come around again, I know not to work that stitch. When I was first learning to crochet in the round, I can remember needing to count every round just to be sure. It gets easier with practice but the thread marker method was a lifeline!
    When I saw you modelling the balaclava sweater I was immediately reminded that you are in Canada. I don't envy your freezing winters. You guys know best about how to keep warm. That balaclava sweater looks super toasty (in a cosy way).
    We are heading into bushfire season again... time to get the emergency plans revised lest we become 'toast' ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE the nativity set. My mom is a retired pastor and has 10 nativities in her house - maybe it's time I knit her one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a cutie pie and I'm sure a tonic during these strange and difficult times.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.