Sunday, December 6, 2020

Yopping Update #23 - Colour B(l)ind


Oh my, it is getting late, so I had better get this blog post on its way.  Not sure where the whole day went - puzzling with my son, opening advent mitts with my grand-daughter, walking, dishes, playing wordscapes....and now it is five pm and sooooo dark outside.  Thank goodness dh is making a roast ham supper.  I am famished. 

I decided to frog the Kangaroo Momma and put it in hibernation.  She was much bigger than I thought and I wasn't having any fun, so perhaps in the future I will just make the Joey.  

On December 1 I got the first clue for the Advent Gnome knit-a-long.  We have had three clues already and I have so far knit a beard, a nose and most of a hat!  I can't post any pictures because it is a mystery knit along. 

On Monday (or was it Tuesday) my Knitpick order arrived so I could pick up the Havana once again.  I finished the last few rows of pattern 5 and then started on pattern 6.  I was hemming and hawing over the colour choice for the last two patterns and decided to switch the orange for the yellow.  


I was happy with the switch but then last night when it was time to start pattern seven I started with the orange and I HATED how it was against the lilac....so I went to my stash and found a lighter yellow and a lighter orange and started rows of crochet to see what I thought.  In the end I went with the paler yellow - the oranges just weren't cutting it with the purples.  So I will finish pattern seven sometime in the upcoming week and then I can start the border.  I am going to do a double border so there won't be ALL those ends to weave in - could you even imagine weaving all these ends in?  Nope.  Me neither. 



So that was my crafting week.  

My cough is getting better and I did get outside for walks everyday except yesterday when I chose to use my energy to rake up three compost bins worth of maple and cedar leaves.  I am glad I did that yesterday in the glorious sun because today it is raining and it is suppose to continue raining for days to come.  Hopefully  the raingear I ordered will arrive soon so I can continue my outdoor walks without returning looking like a drenched rat.  

I FINISHED my virtual Camino de Santiago on Thursday - 481 miles.  I have been walking on that since May 27, 2020.  I then immediately joined the Iceland Ring Road which is 828 miles.  I figure that will take me a year at the rate I walk, but it is fun getting the updates of where I am and what I would be seeing if I was truly there.  Two friends are doing the Ring Road as well so we can cheer each other on. 

We have been having daily video chats with my daughter and grand-daughter as we open up the advent knits I made last year.  So far a snowman, two sweaters, a poinsettia, a mouse and a lamb have been opened and are hanging on the mantle strung between the lights.  It is a lovely tradition we have started. 



This morning we even got my son into the call
grand-daughter was having none of it

So that is my week.  I have to get my son's parcel into the mail this week.  He was going to drive down for Christmas but the cases in his province and ours are nowhere near under control so we have decided to stay safe and we will celebrate Christmas over zoom, or whatsapp, or skype - or perhaps all three (not at the same time).  

Here's crossing fingers and toes that the vaccine is available soon and as I told my daughter as soon as it is safe to travel we will be heading to Croatia - with bells on!
Can you see the wee pink flower I discovered on my walk a couple of days ago.  Hope does indeed spring eternal.  
Take care everyone.  That is an order from this Canadian bossy boots!





7 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the camino. That is quite a hike. Your Havana is so close to being done. I am still on the last color change of section 3. I am doing the twisted fringe for this blanket. I may attempt the double border on my next one of her patterns. Sorry to hear the kangaroo was bigger than you wanted. Looking forward to seeing you gnome KAL. Hopefully, once the covid vaccine gets rolled out you will be able to head to Croatia to see you baby grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! What is this walking thing? In March, I along with my entire family actually, was laid off and I stopped paying for gym membership. The only exercise I enjoy is walking but I don't think I have ever done it except for on the treadmill. Color me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the app is called My Virtual Mission. You can design your own walks (I made one for coast to coast across England), or you can join one of the conqueror challenges and then you get a medal at the end! It really has helped me get out and walk - even on days when I would rather not. I started in May with very short walks, and have slowly increased to close to an hour a day. Every bit helps.

      Delete
  3. Like Elka I was going to ask what app this was as I’d like to do the Iceland one so will look for that app on my phone. Your Havana is looking great and I will be very interested in how you find the double border. I’m knitting in ends as I go on my advent shawl and wondered about crocheting ends as I go on a big version of Havana and doing a single border, but I’ve changed my mind on colours 362 times. I think the yellow tones well. Our vaccine rollout starts this week I think in the UK with care workers and over 80s I think, I have weeks of stopping listening to the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you do want to join the walk is you use my code you get 10% off your first mission
      https://www.theconqueror.events/r/MT519

      Delete
  4. Look at all those Advent goodies!!! You are amazing and patient...very patient. The Havanna is simply beautiful. Who's blanket is the one with all those ends? I have to stay on top of ends. I couldn't face all of those! Glad you are safe and well and staying apart for Christmas. I've stopped walking ever since I fell. I wear Asics but I have weak ankles. I stepped on a rock and down I went! I'm wondering if my hiking boots would be better and give my ankles more support. At my age I can't afford too many falls like that. I was thrilled I didn't break anything! Congrats to you for finishing! It was Shirley Maclaine who did it and I read her book about it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mary-Anne... Your knitted mits Advent calendar is just gorgeous. Not only is it a fun tradition you've started, but that is a real treasure you've given to your daughter and her family. And the little knitted items make a wonderful decoration clipped to the string of lights. I love the colors you've got there in that section of your Havana. You picked well. And I'll be honest, I can imagine sewing in all those ends, but I sure wouldn't want to. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.