Saturday, December 26, 2020

Yopping Update #26 - Darn! It has been a good week

 


Christmas has come, and gone, and all in all it was as fine a Christmas as it could be.  We got to watch our grand-daughter open her Christmas presents thanks to the wonder of Whatsapp, 

a little engineer, or yogi

and then our son was able to join us at our Christmas dinner via Skype.  The three of us shared a meal, and good conversation for about an hour and a half.  It was very heart-warming.  


a view from my son's dinner table

We cooked a 12 pound turkey, and had turkey sandwiches for brunch yesterday and another hot turkey dinner later as well.  I suspect we will be having turkey sandwiches and leftover turkey for a couple more days.  That is all fine and good with me!

We cut down a little cedar tree to put up on Christmas Eve and decorated it with lights and a few knitted ornaments.  It is very sweet. 


On the 23rd I got the last clue for Gnutmeg, the Advent Gnome, and I love it so much.  I am keeping this one for myself.  My own little Elf on a Shelf, or Gnome in my Home.

don't you love his little gnome boots?

Here he is joining all my nativity knits, and advent wreath on the piano.  



I finished the 2nd gnome bauble:



This week I took up darning six pairs of my socks which have been languishing in the darning basket.  




This is my favourite method for darning my handknit socks.  You can find the instructions here

I started my Cinderella Topsy-Turvey doll this week as well.  I have finished the ballgown skirt.

I have some lovely new yarn for the new year thanks to Santa, after I finish this darn rainbow spin I will get into these delicious skeins.


I got out for a walk on Christmas Day before the rains came (and before the turkey went in the oven). 


I have been able to get out for at least an hour a day - I just missed Monday because of snow, but on Tuesday the skies cleared enough so we could go down to the seawall and see the Jupiter/Saturn conjuntion.  That was very cool!


Here's to 2021.  It has GOT to be a better year.  It owes us that much!  Happy New Year all, and here is to more crafting for the 2nd half of our Yopping Year. 

12 comments:

  1. Your gnome is the cutest one yet! The turkey sounds yummy and so nice you could share your dinner together. I was going to cut down a cedar as we have lots down here but they also harbor ticks so I was concerned about bringing ticks in the house. Did you have any problem? Do you have ticks there? We have gobs of ticks here.
    i tried the link to the darning video but no luck. I need to learn to darn but I'm sure I can find a tutorial out there on You Tube. Have a happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the darning video. Thanks for letting me know it wasn't working.

      Delete
  2. I love Gnutmeg I wouldn't want to let it go either! I'm glad you got to see your family, it's the best we can do at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gnutmeg is adorable. You NEED to keep him. I think I would be tempted to leave him out year round. How nice that you were able to 'be' with family over Christmas. Even if it was via media. You got some lovely yarn from Santa. What ever will be made from all of it. I will stay tuned to find out. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like youv'e been very busy. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All considered, sounds like a pretty nice Christmas Day. I'm hoping to keeping some of the Zoom contacts going as I find I actually talk longer on Zoom than via phone alone. I am looking forward to getting back to daily walks when we arrive in Florida this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that is for sure the cutest of the gnomes and does a gnome just have to be for Christmas...he could be a shoe making gnome out of Christmas season and hang around. Your Christmas day sounds peaceful and that sounds like bliss to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. delighted you had a great Christmas, dinner with your son sounds lovely! Here's to a much better 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had a nice holiday!
    Your darned socks are awesome! I have a pair that needs to be mended and I've been putting it off because it won't match. Thank you for inspiring me to just do it, because the contrast patches are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gnome at home is adorable! That video was a little too short. I'm curious about the other things on the left side of the piano. ;^) Your Christmas tree is too sweet. And it looks about our style (though we didn't have any Christmas style at all this year). I wish you a Happy New Year, Mary-Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gnutmeg is adorable! I've seen several pop up on Instagram..and yeah for being able to spend time with family through the magic of technology. I love your tree!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.