Sunday, December 20, 2020

Yopping Update #25 - Havana!



Well, it is well and truly done! I added an extra row of double crochet for the double border (so technically that is two extra rows) and used 3 3/4 balls to finish the border. 



Despite the size of this blanket I will not win the stashdown tiara for yardage this year as I tried to be down 13,200 yards, but I am about  3000 yards short of making that goal (thanks to the latest knitpicks purchase that I bought for my husband to wrap and put under the tree for me... oops).  On the plus side I will have lots of sock knitting in my future!  And by future I mean January 2021.

I will win the fibre stashdown though because I did not buy any fibre this year and have spun a LOT of fibre I did have.  I do hope to have finished my rainbow spin by December 31st!  That is my goal over the 12 days of Christmas. 



On the Gnutmeg Gnome front we are down to the last few days of the mystery KAL.  I now have a hat, a head, a body, a beard, a nose, two arms (I think), and something else that may or may not be a scarf, or shepherd's crook.  It will all become clear on December 24th!

In the meantime Imagined Landscapes included a Gnome Christmas bauble pattern, and I have finished one in sport weight yarn:



and I just started another in fingering. 

pink with blue and purple gnomes


Today is the fourth Sunday of Advent and I lit all four candles this morning and added the two elemental beings to join the animals, plants and stones.



I am continuing my hour long walks and today I even managed it with only a few drops of rain falling on my head.  I love some of the nature scenes I see along my walks and so here is my picture from this afternoon:


The tree is up at my grand-daughter's house:



and in other news my hair is now long enough to braid into two pig tails!




So that is my update for this week.  We are picking up our Christmas grocery order in a few hours, and the turkey on Thursday.  It will just be the two of us for Christmas, but we are hoping for lots of whatsapp video chats with both our son and daughter.  The mail is very slow, and neither of them have received their parcels, but there is still hope they might get them before Christmas (faint hope is still hope). 

I am still not feeling great, but the anxiety is a little less and keeping busy with walking and crafting helps.  We cut down our Christmas tree today from our back yard and it will go up on Christmas Eve as is our tradition.  

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and hoping Santa is good to you all and that peace and contentment fill your hearts and your homes. 

9 comments:

  1. Ha Ha Covid hair!! I let mine grow out too but Tuesday I'll be getting it chopped off. Seems my hair wants to convert into a '60s flip which I can't stand. If it would stay curled under I'd like my longer hair.

    WOW that's some blanket. I can't imagine doing such a huge project. It would take me 3 years!!

    I hope you continue to feel better. I'm sure this winter weather doesn't help. So amazed that you are maintaining your walking. Good for you!! I'm looking forward to daily walks but it will be in the warmth of Florida. Gotta do something to start working this Covid weight gain off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing the gnome. I think you are the queen of gnomes this year. They make me smile when I see them. The baubles are sweet and will look nice on your tree. The photo of your grand daughter looking up at the tree is perfect. The wonder in her eyes is amazing. Glad you are a bit better and hope it continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fingers are crossed that the parcels arrive before Christmas. Your Havana is splendid, as is the bauble. I think a lot of people will be doing a virtual Christmas this year! I hope you have a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I've always had COVID hair since I cut my own hair and haven't been to a beauty shop in years! Your nativity is beautiful and the gnome bauble is so cute! Glad you are somewhat better and I hope you keep improving! Merry Christmas to you and your entire family! I think I am going to order trekking poles so I can keep myself from falling when I walk! LOL! Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy that turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you did that border quick it seems, it looks fantastic finished and I hope it’s lovely to snuggle under. I really love the gnome baubles. Congratulations on your fibre stash usage. Are you counting what you spin as incoming yardage? I have been adding it on as incoming but wonder if it really counts. I hope you have a lovely virtual Christmas with your children, thank goodness for technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't count the yarn I spin as incoming yardage, but the rules for Knitpick stashdown as I can count what I spin as used, and then if I knit with it used again!! I don't think I have 3000 yds of rainbow spin (but it feels like it!)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your parcels arrived and that you enjoyed your Christmas. Looking forward to seeing all your creations finished and what you get up to in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I scrolled down to see what I may have missed recently - your Havana is gorgeous! What a wonderful finished project that is, Mary -Anne.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.