Sunday, November 15, 2020

Yopping Update #20 - Spinning around


 I forgot last week to mention two things I worked on so I am going to get those out before anything else. 

My rainbow spin - I am still working on this and I do see the end in sight.  I have four more groups of the six colours and I can do a group in a couple of days.....so maybe by next week I will have it all ready to ply. 


While working on my Havana, I noticed that the raised print on my crochet hook was really irritating my thumb.  I checked all my hooks, and they all had some sort of writing in the little indentation where your thumb goes.  That doesn't seem smart.  So.....I went onto Amazon and I ordered some pencil grips and modified my hook to look like this.  

works like a charm

I have continued the weekly decluttering challenge and this week it was magazines and knitting/tatting/doily booklets - 24 in all!


I also found a home from a balance board I had in storage with the user manual and an accompanying book.  I am happy a dear friend of mine can use it in her classroom. 


I am almost done the creche - I need to find the perfect sticks for the shepherd crooks and Joseph's staff.  I also have been looking to find a pattern to knit a donkey, ox, and camel.  I will also add an angel.  So I guess I am not as done as I thought - but done as the pattern was written!


My Havana is coming along spendidly.  


I am on pattern 5.  I realized that I won't have enough yellow for pattern 7 so I made another Knitpick order.  I also had to do the math to figure out how much yarn I need for the double border.  I hope I calculated right - 500 gms I think - about 1400 yds.  I ordered a few extras (had to get the free shipping after all), and I will give them to my hubby to wrap up for my Christmas present.  We won't be going into the stores so agreed to order ourselves something online for the other to wrap up and put under the tree. This year our tree will probably be another little cedar from our yard, or I am even toying with decorating our Jade Tree.  

So there is my week.  I have got out for a few forest/pond walks, and we had a very few snowflakes fall earlier in the week.  It was cold enough one day that I wore my handspun/handknit toque and mitts.  I was feeling very stylish..and warm. 

The days seem to go by quickly and my only in person group meeting has been cancelled by government orders because the CoVid cases are going up and up here in my little province.  I do have a hospital procedure coming up in the next couple of weeks so I am a wee bit anxious about the mask/sanitizing protocols, but I imagine the doctors know how to keep me (and them) safe. 

My dear little grand-daughter has a new addition to her family.  

meet her little black kitty

I am so grateful for our almost daily whatsapp video chats.  She calls while her momma is making her breakfast, and we are almost ready for bed.  The nine hour time difference works well for our daily visits.  

So off for a walk before the next rain prediction comes true.  Happy Sunday all.  Stay safe.

6 comments:

  1. How clever to use the pencil grip to solve your crochet hook problem. I just love things like that. Can't wait to see the rainbow yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Nativity set is so cute. You did a wonderful job on all of it. The spinning colors are pretty and very cheerful. Good job on your decluttering. Doesn't feel good to get rid of some of those things that have been taking up real-estate in our homes? Your grand daughters little black kitty is so cute. She will love having a little pet to love on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh... how fun that your granddaughter has a kitty to love. And I imagine that's something fun she can share with you in your video chats. Your creche figures look terrific. And your Havana is looking wonderful! That's seems to be working up fast! :) Good job on the decluttering. I must spend some time winnowing out my craft room, but I keep going in there, looking around, and walking out. I need help. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. A granddaughter with a kitten? Cuteness overload lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nativity and Havana are absolutely beautiful, but of course, your granddaughter steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea for your hook, I switched to bamboo hooks as they don’t have this problem with the raised writing that gives me a thumb blister, but bamboo is slower. I love your nativity and how you plan to extend it. Your Havana is really looking great. I’m grateful that you have the technology to be so connected with your granddaughter given you haven’t been able to fly out for a visit. I hope these vaccines aren’t too far away and that in 2021 you’ll be able to make your visit.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.