Sunday, February 21, 2021

Yopping Update #34 - Just keep knitting (socks)




I finished the Maryana socks without any further incidents. I had to cut the last chart short because otherwise the foot would have been far too long. Others have found a similar issue with this pattern. I was bang on with gauge, but perhaps because my foot is very narrow that made the difference with not being able to complete the pattern. However, I love the fit, and with all new socks I finish these have been on my feet constantly. I really liked how the variegated colour way worked up.
Thanks to Susi-Q for the gift of this cotton yarn

I headed back to my queue and decided to start.... wait for it ... another pair of socks. Socks on a plane have been in my queue for years and I decided to used up the wool I had left over from my Slippery Slope socks to make a fraternal pair. One sock in each colour. It is an easy pattern to remember and it is knitting up quickly. This is a toe up sock and since the cable always goes in the same direction I haven't made any mistakes. The 2nd sock will have the cable running on the other side of the foot - mirror image. 
I have been getting out for my daily walks and taking photographs to keep me inspired. Yesterday I walked a little too far and was feeling pretty weary when this sight greeted me.
You see, Mary-Anne, Spring is coming




I am struggling with blogger today. I seem to only be able to add content using the html version, and not the compose version. Sigh. I didn't sleep well at all last night and I don't need this frustration. 

 Anyways I will continue... I am thinking of starting a long cardigan using up all the remnants of my sport weight yarn. It seemed a bit daunting to start this week which is why socks are still on the go. We shall see. 

 I woke up to this lovely picture of my grand-daughter this morning.
Oh to be on that beach with her

I have been feeling 'weary' this week. Weary of CoVid worries, weary of undone housework and yardwork chores, weary of not being able to visit my dear friends and family. Just. Weary. I have been walking everyday and my walks are getting longer - closer to 4 miles some days. I feel like I am running (walking) away, but at some point I turn around and head back to my life. My life of doing dishes, making the bed, sweeping the floor, knitting, reading, occasionally dusting, weekly laundry, and far too much bingeing of TV shows. 

 Currently I am bingeing on Parenthood, mostly because I like the Dax Shepard character, but even that is getting on my nerves. There is a LOT of conflict in each episode between family members, and I am not good with conflict at the best of times, but the way they speak to each other always leaves me thinking - Do people really talk to each other like that in real life? 

 This week I am also obsessing about passwords and slowly trying to go through all my accounts and change my passwords. I used to always use a ubiquitous simple password, but in today's hacker world I realise I need to tighten up this kind of thing. Our government's tax website had a breach this past week, and although my account wasn't involved it got me thinking - what if it was? 

 What if? My friend calls this tendency of mine to 'future surf'. And when I future surf I always imagine the worse case scenario. I remember a counsellor telling me a few of years ago that when I hear myself saying 'what if?' to change it too 'what if not?' I have been trying to practice this, but it isn't an easy switch, at least not for me. 

 On the plus side this week the ducks are back in the pond having left during the snow and ice earlier this week. I was quite worried about them, because I was worried when the pond was frozen over what would they eat? Clearly the ducks were smarter than I gave them credit for. 

 So amid the snow, CoVid, password breaches, and struggling with zoom (don't get me started on my zoom woes) and now Blogger issues it has been a trying week. Yet, I have much to be grateful for. Much! 

 All my family and friends are healthy and CoVid free. 
 I have lovely video chats with both my children and, of course, my grand-daughter. 
Spring is coming 
Spring is coming 
Spring is coming 

 While attending my CoDA zoom meeting yesterday I was reminded of a poem I posted many years ago on this blog. I will post it again for myself, but perhaps dear reader, it will resonate with you as well. 

 Dear Human: 
You’ve got it all wrong. 
You didn’t come here to master unconditional love. 
That is where you came from and where you’ll return. 
You came here to learn personal love. 
Universal love. Messy love. Sweaty love. Crazy love. Broken love. Whole love. 
Infused with divinity. 
Lived through the grace of stumbling. 
Demonstrated through the beauty of… messing up. Often. 
You didn’t come here to be perfect. You already are. 
You came here to be gorgeously human. 
Flawed and fabulous. 
And then to rise again into remembering. 
But unconditional love? 
Stop telling that story. 
Love, in truth, doesn’t need ANY other adjectives. 
It doesn’t require modifiers. 
It doesn’t require the condition of perfection. 
It only asks that you show up. And do your best. 
That you stay present and feel fully. 
That you shine and fly and laugh and cry 
and hurt and heal and fall and get back up 
and play and work and live and die as YOU. 
It’s enough. 
It’s Plenty. 

 Courtney Walsh

I 'll leave you with my favourite photo of the week.    

Patiently waiting for dinner to swim by, or Spring to arrive, not sure which

Note:  I had to google whether it is binging, or bingeing.  Seems like bingeing won, but it looks weird, no?

15 comments:

  1. I think binging would rhyme with ringing. You do need the "e" to make the "g" soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the bright colors of your Slippery Slope socks. Thanks for sharing your spring wildflowers photo. It is encouraging to see some pops of life as winter wears on. I hope this week is a better one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem. I’m going to pass it on. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that poem. I would like to pass it on.
    And I love to read your blog. So I should never do that without telling you.
    I also adore that photo. Gorgeous to see: heartbreaking not to be able to hug her.
    And those socks... wow wow wow
    The wearying pattern of of COVID life... I relate. Totally. You’re doing a great job. And you’re doing it well. Every day. yAY you.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course pass the poem on...it is not mine, but written by Courtney Walsh. I am so glad you read my blog. I miss your blogging - time to get back at it now you are home on your beautiful island.

      Delete
  5. It sounded to me like you had a wonderful week except for your weariness? I have always been blessed with happiness that never seems to quit. I have never been depressed or anxious...I seem to pop back no matter what happens in my life and for that I am truly blessed. My heart aches for those who struggle to enjoy life on a daily basis. It must be very hard to keep going at times. I have other struggles so I guess we all have our own unique burdens to carry. I wish foryour weariness to melt away. I must admit my house and yard work sometimes overwhelm me but it never lasts for long...the feeling that is....the work is never-ending! LOL!
    A long time ago I learned to stop wishing my life away and enjoying it just as it is. It's a habit now and I think I really have learned to live in the moment. You are very strong Mary, and I think you do a wonderful job in creating and sharing and balancing all the things in your life. Give yourself some credit, girlfriend! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend - this week has been much much better.

      Delete
  6. Those socks look too good to be hidden in shoes, the pattern on the foot looks great and I wonder whether they fit ok in your shoes. My feet are so small that after the gusset there’s hardly any rows before I do the toe. A long cardigan with left over and I assume different coloured yarns sounds like it may be just the thing to bring some brightness to your days. I am soooo behind on my walking, I only walk when I’m walking the dog and she’s getting problems with her feet and hips and the vets are due to call in the next couple of days to say some medication is in for her. I need to start going out alone as well and take my audio book or podcasts with me. Do you listen to something on your walks? Our streaming services don’t have Parenthood series in which is frustrating as I’d like to see it. Hopefully this week will be better and smooth sailing with no issues or niggles to lower your mood. As you say, you’ve so much to be grateful for. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually listen to Dax Shepard's podcast Armchair Experts, or Marc Maron's WTF. the socks are knit on 2.00mm with fingering wool so they fit easily in my shoes, not bulky at all.

      Delete
    2. I have listened to a couple of Marc’s but need to try him again. Now spring days are happening and I’m in the garden I will need more content.

      Delete
  7. Well I can certainly empathise with the "weary" state but yes trying to see the positive helps. That's a great poem and that photo of your granddaughter must surely raise a smile. Spring is coming! (Although it might seem 2 steps forward 1 back at times - we had snow recently - urgh!) Yes it has to be bingeing or it would rhyme with singing. No point in trying to second guess the English language lol. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Maryana socks are very pretty. I can see why they are parked on you feet since being finished. Love the slippery slope socks are so bright and cheery. I like that cable going up the side. The fact it is a one way cable makes it even better. I enjoy seeing your photos taken on your walks. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the socks! Both pairs.

    I'm inspired by your daily walks! I tend to get hyper focused on all the mundane tasks around the house, and the next thing I know, its colder and dark outside! More sun and better weather are on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In your newer post I recognised the name "Socks on a Plane" and now I know why it is so familiar - you have had them in your to-do list for a long time! Nice that you have finished them at last. They look so cosy and the cables along the side have personality. I could see them as perfect for wearing in slip-on style shoes so you can show off the cables to the world. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes they have been in my queue for ages. It seems in 2021 all I want to do is knit socks. I'm on pair 7 currently. lol.

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.