Sunday, February 28, 2021

Yopping Update #35 - What have I started?

 

I finished my sixth pair of socks for this year.  I had enough wool to make them both the same colour - these were a quick and easy knit.  

Socks on a Plane
I am signed up to start a Mystery Knit-a-Long tomorrow - March 1st.  It is a General Hogbuffer sock pattern so it should be interesting.  I am going to make them out of this lovely gold tonal wool. 


I started my long cardigan experimental knit.  I have soooooo many colours of Brava Sport and I didn't want to make a striped sweater.  I wanted it to be colourful, and abstract, and spent some time thinking and researching ideas.  

I remembered a painting I did when I was teaching my students in grade three about Joseph and his coat of many colours so I went to dig it out.


Then I drafted the pattern shape onto some graph paper and coloured it in. 

The sweater back and sides are knit in one piece and then the sleeves are added.  So I cast on the 220 stitches and started the garter stitch hem.  The sweater pattern wants to be in reverse stocking stitch, so I started to investigate how hard intarsia and fairisle would be on the 'wrong' side, or the garter stitch side. 
Don't even think about it.....calmer heads prevailed....I did do a swatch of garter stitch intarsia but I really didn't like the look, so I have decided  to change the pattern so the knit side of the stocking stitch is the right side. I decided this after knitting 6 rows in reverse stocking stitch and had to rip them out back to the hem.  

So last night I started again:

I already have four colours on the go, and the yarns are getting tangled as they hang from the back and I think that this may be the point where my friends and family can prove I am certifiably crazy.   I already see I am not following my design, and I am winging the shapes as I knit but I am 'going with the flow'. 

What's the worse that can happen?  I can always frog the whole thing if it comes to that.  I read through my Kaffe Fassett book hoping for some ideas about choosing colours and I loved the advice - when in doubt add more colours!  This is definitely a process sweater and a learning project so I will see if it ever becomes a product or not.  Stay tuned. 

It is funny to think that my General Hogbuffer mystery knit may become my 'relaxing' knit.  

My walks have been continuing, and I have found some more new trails to explore.  This one was beautiful and very mossy. 

So that was my week.  One finish, one crazy cast-on and one mystery to look forward to.  

Now I am off to untangle my intarsia, and continue on my project.  Wish me luck. 








10 comments:

  1. I really like your FO socks. I may need to add that pattern to my list. Do you know what you are making in your MKAL? Pretty wool for it. I like your thought process on the sweater. Looking forward to seeing the progress as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. General Hogbuffer's pattern is a sock pattern. Yes, Socks on a Plane is a neat pattern for sure.

      Delete
  2. Those socks are beautiful - in color and with that fun side cable. And WOW! to you over designing the color-flow of your new sweater. This will be really fun to watch grow. I am so impressed by your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, 6 pairs of socks!! You are FAST. The golden yellow is a beautiful color that will really show off intricacies.
    Also, that is one ambitious coat! I'm certain it will look amazing when its done. I am loving the colors you have already worked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this all sounds very adventurous and exciting to be a ‘viewer’ waiting to see how this coat of many colours comes along, and a mystery KAL as well! Very exciting,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazingly creative! I wouldn't know where to start. The only thing that reminded me of yours was Stephen West's Penguano (?) coat. I have it on my list to make someday and it is a "coat of many colors". Joyce of the Ruby Moss Cottage podcast made one (her 3rd podcast shows it I think) and she said it wasn't difficult as his directions are clear and she said she really enjoyed knitting it. Just a thought. I am super impressed....I'm hesitant to make things from a pattern much less "wing it"! LOL! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do like to set yourself a challeng lol. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater project is going to be amazing. Yes, go with the flow. I have done a couple of Stephen West's workshops and that is his philosophy too - the more colours the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting that you can define projects as either 'process' or 'product' when those two categories definitely overlap in my Venn diagram but I totally understand what you mean. Enjoy the process - to me it is as important to adult as it is to children to PLAY. It's good for your soul. Have fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes knitting is Play for me. If I am not enjoying it, it gets frogged!

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.