Sunday, March 7, 2021

Yopping Update #36 - Painting with yarn

 


I have finished clue 1 on the Pescatarian Mystery Sock KAL, but no spoilers here until sock is complete.  I have knit both socks cuff and start of leg.  So far so good. 

I have been working on my Sweater of many (many) colours and I am following Kaffe's method of keeping the balls of yarn intact which means having to unravel the tangled mess very few rows.  

As Kaffe says about colour choices - "when in doubt add more colours"

I am not really following my original sketch, but instead choosing the colours and the increases and decreases as the mood strikes me.  I have to say I am quite impressed with the progress so far.  It will definitely be a Sweater of Many Colours and my friend and I think I may be giving Stephen West a run for his money with this project.  I do feel like I am painting with yarn as I go, and it feels very creative and freeing.



I have been walking everyday - my longest being almost 5 miles as I tackled a new to me loop through the parks and neighbourhoods of my city.  It is called the Green Necklace, and I wouldn't say it was totally green as I was walking sometimes beside traffic (but I think that is because I lost the trail for a few blocks), and it was a challenge as the last twelve blocks were a steady incline, but I did it none-the-less. 

and found pussy willow trees in the last mile

The next day however I was knocked over by two very large dogs who came running into me at full speed.  I wasn't hurt, just shocked and shaken, and so cut that walk short to just under a mile.  Just before the spectacular fall though I had seen nine herons on the river which was such a special treat. 

I had a CoVid test on Friday (negative) that was needed before a broncoscopy I am having tomorrow at the hospital.  I am anxious about it all but the fact everyone going into that part of the hospital needs a negative CoVid test within 72 hours of their arrival makes me feel a bit better. 

Spring is definitely on its way as this lovely garden of crocuses and snow drops proves.



more pussy willows yesterday

I will end with this lovely shot of my granddaughter sleeping with her sweet kitty.  I can tell by the little bit of cuff that she is wearing a sweater I knit for her.  I can't wait to hug her.  One day.  One very fine day.



I got a new app called Gaia gps  which shows all the trails in my neighbourhood.  I am off to explore a new one before the rains fall again.  


12 comments:

  1. Your Sweater of Many colors is indeed coming along nicely. Keep us posted as you are far bolder than me to undertake such a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on maintaining your walking during the winter. Where I live it's extremely hilly making it not a lot of fun to walk. And there are no sidewalks making it dangerous to walk on the roads. It's one of the advantages to wintering in Florida where it's warm, dry, flat, and sidewalks. I need to maintain my daily walks once I get back to Ohio but truthfully will be highly unlikely.

    That colorful sweater looks amazing already. It just screams fun!! Glad you are enjoying knitting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater looks awesome. I can't wait 'till it's done and modeled for us. You're my hero on the walking front. I'd have been terrified at the on-coming dogs and then to be knocked down by them? Yikes. Pictures of your walk are nudging me to get out there. Keep sharing them, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the fall didn't cause injury but it must have been a bit shocking. Yes we all want to hug our grandchildren. I'm fortunate to see some of mine but I still miss the ones I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on your walks. I'm thinking of hiking sticks since I had my fall. There's gravel and rocks and no trails or sidewalks just rough road.
    Your sweater looks like a puzzle...so cool! Your knitting talent always amazes me! I'm so glad you weren't hurt. I always had big dogs...mostly Rottweilers and the first thing I taught them was not to jump on anyone. A knee to the chest usually gets the message across quite quickly but on grass so if they fall they don't hurt themselves. My dogs were never allowed to jump on anyone. I always felt owning a big dog or a horse (I had horses too) or driving a car was a huge responsibility to ensure that no one was ever hurt by them.
    Sweet picture of your granddaughter and her kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the dog didn't jump up on me, it literally ran into me while being chased by another dog going full steam ahead! I love my walking sticks. They make me feel steadier and give my arms a good work out too.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome sweater. It is so bright and cheery. What a fabulous piece to brighten up your wardrobe. Yes, Stephen West would be amazed and proud. I too, think you may have outdone him. I hope your bronchosopy turns out well. Our hospitals here in the US are also requiring negative tests before any procedures. Those pussy willows are one of my favorites. My mom always used some of their stalks in flower arrangements. I don't know why but I always thought they grew like reeds instead of a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I though pussy willows only grew in small bushes, but these two trees I past were full of them. I'll have to see later in the year what kind of trees they are.

      Delete
  7. What a joyous range of colours in your jumper. Well done on getting out so much and I'm glad you are ok after being knocked off your feet. I am soooooo behind on the walk around Iceland. Good luck at the hospital it seems like they have good procedures in place to keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Early spring walks are truly lovely! I love the little signs of the impending verdant green. My son and I saw some lovely little crocus the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary-Anne! Surprise? Do you still recognise me after my absence? This message is a quick g'day to let you know I hope to be back in Blogland very very soon, all things going well and boy, will I have heaps to write about.(It's a little daunting actually.)
    I'm keen to catch up on all of your news as always. Over recent months, when I DID have the opportunity to read some of your posts, I hadn't been able to leave comments easily thus I apologise for the lack of communications from this end.
    Therefore I will be reading and commenting bit by bit through your blog to see where you are up to.
    I am a little concerned that you have been dealing with physical health issues in recent times. It is good to see that you can still be active and enjoy good quality of life in that way. May all go well with your interactions with the health system(s).
    Lastly, I LOVE the colours of your jumper - so deep and yet bright and invigorating. It truly is like a painting.
    It is sooo nice to be able to see your lovely work and connect online again. Get ready for a barrage of comments as I read through each of your blog entries! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you. I have been missing your posts and look forward to getting all the deets about what you have been up to.

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.