Sunday, February 7, 2021

Update #32 - Homespun knits

 


Waiting for Superbowl to start, but time for a quick update. 

I finished my sheep breed sampler cowl.  I even took it out for a walk a few days ago. 


I cast of the Hermione's Everyday socks which have been in my queue forever.  They are a simple knit but because I am knitting them with 2mm needles they seem to be taking forever. 

When I first read Harry Potter I pronounced her name as
Her Me Own Knee

I knit them on a 9inch circular so I do the leg and heel on one, and then catch the 2nd sock up to the first.  Then I do the gusset on them one at a time, then the foot one at a time and then the toes.  That way I avoid the 2nd sock syndrome.  I made the leg longer than usual so I am not sure I will have enough yarn and may do the toes in a contrasting colour. Stay tuned. 

I need something else to knit beside the socks so I got out the wool/silk handspun I made during Tour de Fleece and I found the perfect cowl pattern.  It is called Stonehenge, and I love the pattern and how my handspun knit up.  


I have been continuing my daily walks of just over an hour, just over 3 miles, a day and each day I find something to take a picture of.  Here is a little friend I met on yesterdays walk at the pond. 


Here's hoping it can read!

Have a good week all.  I am off to get my snacks ready for the Superbowl game.  If you want to follow other Yoppers and their progress you can check out their posts at the top of this blog (right hand side). 

Until next post - stay safe, stay calm, be kind.

15 comments:

  1. oh those socks, such a happy happy colour! and well done for the cowl, it does look very warm and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Hermione pattern. Simple but pretty. I'm actually planning to use it on my sample knit. Way to go on your daily walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a fun superbowl! Love your projects, and yes, I pronounced Hermione's name in my head that way too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still pronounce it that way in my head when I go to spell it out!

      Delete
  4. What is that animal climbing the tree? The head looks like a koala, but the tail looks like a squirrel. But it looks too big to be a squirrel. You being in Canada, I'm guessing it's a giants squirrel. How big do you grow squirrels up there? I originally pronounced Hermione the same way. ;^) I imagine we're not alone. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a black squirrel - not giant - about 12 inches nose to tail tip. We have lots of them around, and gray ones two and even lately I have seen a Douglas Squirrel which is a lovely reddish brown colour.

      Delete
  5. Well done on the walks and all the knitting as usual. Hope you enjoyed the Superbowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it wasn't a very exciting game - and I was a bit chagrined by the crowds and closeness of all the fans. I did have some yummy snacks though, so that was a win.

      Delete
  6. Well, the Super Bowl was not as an exciting game as I hoped it would be. The Hermione sock seems to be a favorite of everyone in the YOP group. I know I have made it several times and still enjoy making it. Your sheep bread cowl looks so very warm and cozy. Your handspun cowl has a lovely texture pattern to it. That squirrel is so cute. I have never seen a black squirrel before. Hopefully it does not become coyote food. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your homespun breed sample cowl, is that the white faced woodland at the front with the halo? When I spun some of that it had a mohair looking halo to it. It looks great and was hopefully nice and warm. They had some dark squirrels in Michigan but I’m not sure if they were called black squirrels. Here in the Highlands we just have the very small red squirrels and in England they have non-native greys mostly. I find them entertaining. I know Stonehenge is a cowl but it looks a nice width for an ear warmer too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely projects! I hope you enjoyed the superbowl even if it didn't quite match expectations. I heard someone once pronounce it Hermy one - I can't hear it any other way now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Super Bowl was underwhelming and my team lost, I can't even think about it right now. LOL!

    I'm going to focus on your lovely sock and that amazing Breed Sampler Scarf! What breeds did you use and which one was your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to your question below in the comments. I should probably do a proper post about it sometime in the future. Thank you for the question.

      Delete
  10. I love the icelandic, both the colour, the drape and the ease of spinning it, but I also loved the masham for colour and ease of spinning. The Whitefaced Woolen has a lovely halo, and I spun it with long backward draw (a first for me) -
    I used Jacob, Cheviot, Dorset, Whitefaced Woodland, Southdown, swaledale, manx loaghtan, icelandic, Masham and Black Welsh Mountain. I loved the silver colour of the Swaledale, and I think they all have their uses. A friend has an Icelandic fleece for me and I am excited about that so perhaps I will have enough to spin for a sweater.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.