Sunday, January 31, 2021

Yopping Update #31 - So Proud



I couldn't sleep so decided I could get my post up early for a change.  

First of all my Rainbow Pride Socks

pretty happy with how the colours matched up on each sock too

I am so proud of these socks - and can't wait until the next Pride parade to wear them, well, proudly!

I spun the yarn myself with a bag of six colours of fibre that I won during Tour de Fleece last year.  I divided the colours into manageable hanks (eye balling the size) and kept the same order of colours through the spin.  
The socks are the Euclid pattern by General Hogbuffer for the leg.  It consists of four equilateral triangle, and then I did a gusset/short row heel and finished the foot in stripes.  Because the yarn was heavier than fingering I decided that doing the complete Euclid would make them too bulky.  I am soooooo happy with them, and they have been on my feet continuously since coming off the needles.  I have worn them walking inside of rain boots, and hikers and they are perfect.  Okay, enough bragging, on to my next project.

I got a lovely gift of sock yarn from a dear friend across the water.  I haven't decided on a pattern yet, but I am leaning towards something with a cable - maybe the Maryana in my queue.  Time will tell. 

My Knitpicks order arrived 








and I have been slowly winding skeins, by hand as I don't like how the cakes collapse, and I have one designated for Hermione's Everyday socks.  



I was going to start them a couple of nights ago - but then something Highland Heffalump posted a few weeks back got stuck in my brain and I decided to get out my sheep breed samples I had spun in September and find a pattern to highlight them.  I finally settled on this sampler cowl.  It says beginners right?  I could zip through this in no time.  Well????

I started with my Whitefaced Woodland, which I had chain plied and it was quite bulky.  I cast on and after finishing it realised I had misread the pattern.  So I frogged it. 

I re-knit the first pattern and started on the second pattern with the Manx Loaghtan.  It was moss stitch and when I was almost done I realised I had a mistake near the beginning so I frogged back and re-started the moss stitch.  

Once I finished the moss stitch I then realised the gauge between the first two patterns was way off so I frogged the whole thing and started with the Dorset horn.  

I took the chain-plied Whitefaced Woodland and then I....wait for it....unplied it!!!! what?   Yes, I did, and then I replied it as a two ply so it wasn't so bulky.  Suffice it to say that unplying a chain plied spin is very, shall I politely say....CHALLENGING. Thank goodness it was only 14 yards (which once re-plyed became 20 yards. Much better).

Then I was off to the races and I have my first five breeds on my 'beginners' sampler cowl.  I think I will take Liz's suggestion and embroider the names on the back of each section.  When it is finished I think it will be long enough to wrap twice around my neck. 


 Daily walks this week and I will give you three pictures of my adventures:
from the ridiculous



to the sublime


But then I was thinking....


if the deer are this big, how big are the cougars?


So that's my week.  Now off to make brekkie and then go for my walk - hoping to avoid cougars, although perhaps if I carry a big box I won't have to worry.  



Here is another chuckle to start your week.


Have a good one, dear Reader.  Remember, we are in this together.  Be safe.  Be calm.  Be kind.  

10 comments:

  1. Your socks look great. I'm glad you didn't meet any cougars lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rainbow pride socks are amazing and you are right to be proud of them. I love your new yarn and can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all that lovely yarn that came in. I am a rebel. I make cakes with my yarn winder but use the yarn from the outside of the cake so it won't collapse. Works like a charm. Your last comic is so accurate. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those indeed are terrific pride socks. How fun to wear!! And to think you spend the yarn in addition to knitting them. What a treasure! Your breed cowl sounds like a treasure too. Keep safe on your walks. Never thought of bringing a box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your socks are amazing and you have a right to be proud!

    The breed sampler scarf is another thing to be proud of, you did well on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry if this is a repeat. I thought I replied earlier today. I absolutely love your pride socks. What a great pattern. The colors are so great. And you spun the yarn. Amazing! Stay safe on your walks. I like my wildlife more on the bunny rabbit size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at that last meme. Too true. Your socks are terrific! I'm amazed at how quickly you knit those up. And look at all your pretty new yarns! Sigh. I look forward to seeing what you make with those, Mary-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL the last one is so true, I keep buying lovely yarn and have no clue what to do with it. It's really a bad habbit. Love the idea of a scarf with all your handspun samples, if I ever find my spinning mojo again, I might try the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pride socks are AMAZING!!! I was really curious how the triangles would make for a wearable sock, somehow I never considered they were the leg!! I guess that's what happens when you've knit the last 7/7 pairs of socks toe-up!

    Love the deer sculpture... I also am now wondering how big of a cougar would be required to take down a deer of that size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 😮 wow congratulations on finishing your socks and all with handspun. I haven’t even got close to achieving that goal yet. They look fantastic and, for sure, be proud of your pride socks! Oh goodness that shawl is sounding like a challenge with the frogging but I can’t event imagine how you unspun something, did you wind 2 balls off the same bobbin at the same time after it was unplyed? I have a 3 ply where one of the plies is too tight a twist and it affects the other 2 and I thought to unply it but my brain can’t comprehend it. I love the photos you have shared, especially the cougar in a cardboard box...it’s nice to see all cats no matter how big are kittens at heart.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.