Sunday, January 17, 2021

Yopping Update #29 - Monogamous knitting

This week was all about Slippery Slope socks.  It is a General Hogbuffer pattern.  I have knit several of his designs and they are all intricate and unusual in their construction.  The math geek in me likes that. 

It took a couple of false starts to get the colour combination from my stash that I wanted to use.  I mistakenly thought I could get away with a 50gm ball for the contrasting colour, but looking more closely at the pattern that is a result of slip stitches I realized I needed two 100 gm balls.  

By last night I had just about finished the 2nd fifty six row chart, and then it is just stripes for a couple of inches before starting the toe. 


Not that it was all smooth sailing - oh, no.  After turning the heel I started to wrap the two colours at the beginning of each new round and it was looking hideous.  I don't know what I was thinking - I seemed to be treating the stripes like fairisle.  Anyways I finished the gusset decreases and then ripped it all out and re-did it properly.  I am super glad I did that, and I am very happy with the fit and the look. 

Of course, part of this week I spent talking myself into another Knit Picks order.  Eight skeins of sock yarn are winging there way to me as I write this.  I can't wait for the parcel to arrive.  Seven are a collection of skeins called Arctic Lights Fade, and one of the skeins is called Vancouver - like my hometown.  How cool is that. I also ordered another skein of Felici to match one in my stash so I can make a pair of socks with a longer leg and not worry about running out like I did with my Say Yes to Pie Socks. 

There has been lots of walking this week (today I am taking a rest day), and on Thursday I walked with a friend and what with walking and talking we put in 5 1/2 miles.  Phew!

Also this week I got my Camino medal in the mail!  It is beautiful.


Most days I got out walking between rain showers, but on Wednesday my husband and I drove about 30 minutes from our house to have a picnic at a lovely little cove.  The sun was out, it was nice and warm , and the drive was beautiful seeing the snow on the surrounding mountains and the sun on the sea. 


I have been taking pictures almost everyday on my walks.  There is always something that catches my eye, and I have made a deal with myself to not just 'think' about taking a picture, but actually do it. 

A reminder the sun is always there just behind the clouds

When a tree falls in the forest....

Like a scene out of LOTR

My daughter celebrated her birthday on Friday and my grand-daughter seemed amused by Gramma and Grampa singing over the miles.  I can't believe my baby girl is thirty-two!

I was delighted to get this little video of my grand-daughter playing with the little kitty I knit her. 

That was my week.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Now I am off to finish the toe of my sock and then start the 2nd sock in reverse colours. I love fraternal socks.


9 comments:

  1. It is so funny you are knitting a General Hogbuffer. His most recent sock pattern, Funfetti, was a "hot right now" pattern and I added it to my library. I look forward to knitting it someday. Yours looks terrific!!

    Congrats on keeping up with the walking. Your pictures are beautiful and quite the treat to look it. Love your captions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! What a sweet little video of your granddaughter and her knitted kitty. :) Your socks looks very cool. And your nature photos almost inspire me to get and walk more. It's been soooo gloomy here. I must get out more, though. Keep sharing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your walk pictures are lovely. Are all these trails close or do you need to drive to the trailhead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all the trails are just a short walk from my front door - except the sunny cove I mentioned in my post. I am so lucky to live in such a place where any direction I head I run into forest and creeks, ponds and waterfalls.

      Delete
  4. Great sock and I was enthused that it was great to prevent pooling but then I read your struggles and thought not for me! LOL! You're the best knitter I know and I am definitely not at your level!
    That is the cutest video of your grand daughter!
    Have a great week and yes, I have begun taking naps also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sock is very pretty. The color combo is great. I like the texture on it too. Your photos on your walks are great. Your areas to walk are so full of nature. All my walks are in my neighborhood with lots of houses. Nothing extremely inspiring like yours. The video of your grand daughter is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its nearly 4pm and I'm in my PJs still ;) I love your socks, the cuteness overload of kitty and your granddaughter heading down the slide made me smile. I'm not getting out enough to get close to you around the Iceland walk, I need to get a shift on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to knit some General Hogbuffer socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good idea to take pictures of everything that catches your eye. You'll find that you notice more and more details the more pictures you take. Choosing which to keep and which to publish is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.