Sunday, June 13, 2021

Yopping Update #50 - Almost

 


I stayed monogamous with my knitting again this week.  

Here is a progress picture from last Thursday

As of today the first sleeve is done, and the second sleeve is finished with the pattern and just plain knitting for another five inches before doing the ribbed cuff. 

I developed a puncture on my right pointer finger from my sharp knitting needle, so I rummaged around in my sewing kit and found an old thimble of my grandmother's, or perhaps my aunt's that is keeping me safe.


Two weeks ago I did do one pattern repeat on my Elizabeth  Montague socks from the Bluestockings collection, but they won't get any more attention until my gansey is done.


I have been continuing my daily walks and taking pictures of the flora and fauna on my way.  My sister mailed me a bear bell to wear so I feel better cutting through the forest trails once again.  I check on the ducklings nearly everyday and although there are not as many as last year, they seem to be growing quickly. 


The squirrels like to hang around the pond too  to get the leftover bird seed after the ducks have had their fill.


I had an MRI two weeks ago, and a CTscan last Monday so I hope to get some results from the doctors this coming week.  I just finished a course of antibiotics that were making me feel tired, so I hope my energy returns this coming week. 

On the positive front my hubby and I are getting our second vaccines this coming week.  The province is opening up more and more and I will admit it makes me quite nervous.  I will take it in baby steps venturing out into the world once I am three weeks past my second dose.  That will be early July.  I don't imagine I will be rushing into 'business as usual' but I will feel more protected for sure.  My son in the next province over is hoping to get his 2nd dose perhaps by the end of June as well so all things being equal we hope to visit with him this summer. 

I did get together outside with four knitting friends yesterday for the annual Knit in Public Day.  The weather cooperated and it was so great to be chatting and knitting together just like in the old days before CoVid.  Definitely a sign of things moving forward. 

My grand-daughter is continuing to charm us with her videos and pictures and whatsapp chats.  

What a character!

Lately she has been sleeping in so I have been able to have some lovely chats with just my daughter some mornings too.  These are golden moments. 

I will leave you this week with this 'wisdom' tree.  That is what a father was telling his son as I walked past.  It really does look quite mysterious and whimsical and I do believe in the wisdom of the plant world.  Some days it truly is my saving grace. 


Interesting how the bark has formed twisting around itself

I am still processing the news I shared last week about the 215 bodies found, and then earlier this week a Muslim family of five was deliberately run over.  The parents, grandmother and teenage daughter were killed.  The survivor is a nine-year old boy who has lost his family. 

As my son once said when he was very little, "I just don't understand people".

I don't either my dear boy.  I don't either. 








11 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've seen a picture of your daughter, but am I correct in saying your granddaughter looks a LOT like her mama? What an adorable face.

    Your sweater is looking great! I am so impressed. And that Wisdom Tree. I've never seen one. That's very impressive too!

    The tragedies... I don't understand people either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she does look a lot like her mama. She has her tata's eyes though. (Ta-Ta is croatian for Dada)

      Delete
  2. Your sweater looks absolutely amazing. What a terrific job you did designing and knitting it. Wow that wisdom tree is very interesting. I hope you get good news with your scans. I have been happily surprised at how fast I've readjusted to maskless life and getting to do things like meet friends for lunch and attend church services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gansey is coming along beautifully and the socks too. You tackle the hard stuff when it comes to your projects. You are brave! I would still carry bear spray with you....the bell only does so much. That tree is fascinating. I've never seen anything like it.
    I'm like you....I am taking it slow and I will continue to wear 2 masks when out in public. On the news they talked about a couple on a cruise and everyone on the cruise had been vaccinated including this couple and they came down with Covid. I think people forget what they originally said about the vaccine which is..."if you catch it after being vaccinated you probably won't die from it." I don't even want to get sick at all! I have 2 immune system diseases so getting sick is not a great thing for me. So, for the rest of my life I will probably continue to take the same precautions.
    Your grand daughter is so precious per usual! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sweater looks wonderful! I have also had that knitting puncture, it's so frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Gansey is so wonderful. You have done such a great job designing it. I bet it is done by this week's YOP. Then you can get back to those pretty socks. Your Grand daughter is a real hoot. How old is she now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your gansey is looking absolutely brilliant, you are clever. So close to finishing it now and I can see why you have been mostly monogamous. I follow Quite a Yarn so have been watching her blue stocking growing and it really is such a pretty sock pattern.

    When we were at Newberry Volcanic Monument in Oregon we saw lots of twisted trees like this in a field of lava. They explained that the trees haven't been able to create lots of roots that would spread out and supply the whole tree with water, which happens just below the park layer. So the tree maybe has one or two tap roots it has been able to find water with and so the bark grows in a twist so that all the branches around the tree can access the water. So if you find the branches also follow the line of the twist you will be able to see how wise indeed that tree has been. Without the twist only branches on one side of the tree would be possible and it would fall over! On my blog under travel and under USA, then Pacific Northwest you will find my blog post of photos from the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Update..just realised on my photo collage I only have one photo of a twisted tree and it was one that had fallen over. I think in was worried about space on my blog back then for photo storage so was a bit mean with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand people either.
    Your gansey is fabulous as are the socks.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.