Sunday, July 11, 2021

Yopping Update #2 - Planaria? Planarium? Planarii?

 


While working on designing my toddler gansey I attempted various planaria motifs.  Here is my progress:

Take 1- an outline with a wiggle - nope


Take 2 - still a wiggle and tried to fix head - still nope



Take 3 - how about no wiggle? (no improvement)

Take 4 - let's fill in the body - almost

Take 5 - blocking has almost got it where I want it


Take 6 - oriented different way ( pretty happy) 



Take 7 - The best one just before finishing cuff on the 2nd sleeve - phew!

So yes, the toddler gansey is complete - ends sewn in, washed and blocked.


recipient tbd

Besides designing planaria I was focused on spinning every day for Tour de Fleece.  Last Sunday was the challenge day so I spun a bobbin using the long backward draw method.  It took a bit to get into the rhythm, but I finished off a bobbin I had started last September, and then filled a 2nd bobbin so I would have enough to ply. 
plied and ready for niddy-noddy

128 metres - 85 gms

washed and thwacked


I started with 250 gms of fibre - either Shetland or Gotland - and I am determined to spin it all during this tour.  I have laid out about 20 gms a day so if all things go well I will finish it by the 18th when Tour de Fleece ends.  Today is another challenge day and I will get out my turkish spindle and update you on that progress next week. 

I only have one wip which is my Strandwanderer scarf.  I am enjoying this knit very much, and because of all the short rows I decided to learn to knit backwards to avoid turning the work constantly.  I taught myself and it seemed tedious so I went on you tube for a quick lesson.  It turns out I was purling backwards which doesn't really effect the result since it is a garter stitch scarf, but once I learned how to knit backwards it goes very quickly.  I am half way done now so should be finished by the time by sock yarn haul from Knit Picks arrives. 

No fear of yarn chicken because you just knit until you run out of yarn!

On the non-knitting/spinning/planaria planning/backward knitting front I had a busy week now that I am fully vaccinated and past the two week waiting period.  This meant:
eye check-up on Tuesday
dental cleaning and exam on Wednesday
Lunch on a restaurant patio with a friend - also Wednesday
Ordered take out Sushi yesterday and had it in the village plaza with an iced Latte

So I am slowly trying to resume some 'normal' activities.  As I tell my sister - babysteps!

There is my update for the week of Yopping.  I will soon begin the adult gansey complete with a planaria or two for my friend, and once the Knit Picks order arrives I will be casting on some socks.  

I will leave you with a picture of our local mountains - these two peaks are called The Lions.  Earlier this week at dusk I could really see them overlooking our evening walk by the sea. 

The indigenous peoples call them the Two Sisters


If you want to subscribe to this blog you can go to Bloglovin  It is a great site where you can subscribe to any blog you want and when there is a new post it will be emailed to you.   You can find Breathing Life at https://mary-mann.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Seems that toddler sweater knit up fast. It really is terrific. You had a very successful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a week! The gansey is perfect, well done! And your spinning is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors of the scarf. I used to knit backwards and enjoyed it. I would need a YouTube video to remember how I did it. Once you learn it, it is quick and easy to do. The toddler gansey is super cute. Will that be heading to Croatia? Speaking of Croatia....no sweet girl photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to google what planaria are, is it a tradition to incorporate flat worms into a gansey? It looks great. Well done with all your spinning during week 2 of TDF, looks like you are spinning my share too 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is a tradition I am starting to honour a student of mine who just graduated with a degree in Marine Biology. Her thesis was on planaria.

      Delete
  5. The toddler gansey is awesome. Can’t wait to see your adult version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the planaria on the toddler gansey! It really is NEXT level thoughtful and awesome.

    The spinning looks great! I can't wait to see what you decide to knit with it!

    Yay for vaccination! I'm happy you have been able to get back to normal-ish activities! Its a bit weird getting back into the world after over a year of being super cautious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just when I think I can't be more impressed you show us something new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You knit that up fast, Mary-Anne. What a terrific sweater. You are so clever! On that note... I can't quite fathom knitting backwards. I think I need to look this up on youtube - not to do it, but just to understand HOW it's possible. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gansey designing and execution are epic! You're really a prolific knitter. #goals

    I too am practicing my long backward draft, it's definitely taking some practice, good job with yours.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.