Sunday, July 4, 2021

Year of Projects 11 - Let's do it all again

 

Painting I did August 2018


Well, here we are again - another year of Yopping, knitting, crocheting, spinning, and enjoying writing for, and catching up with, readers and other yoppers. 

I think I have come up with a modest list to start the year knowing full well that I will add projects along the way that take my fancy.  I did make a rather large order of Stroll sock wool from KnitPicks a few days ago.  I have grown weary of variegated yarns so choose a rainbow of solid colours.  (Of course I had to get my order up to 100 dollars so I could get a cool tote bag for free.  I'll post pictures when my goodies arrive!)

So with no further ado I present my plan for the next 12 months. 

Wips:

Toddler Gansey


I have been focused on this project all week.  I frogged about 4 inches of my gauge sample I had made for my gansey so I could start the gusset for the sleeves.  This project took a lot of math on my part to design the size and pattern placement.  I don't think the heat we had this week helped because I swear it took me a whole day to plan out the sleeves!  You can read more about the math in my project notes here if you are on Ravelry and so inclined.  I am learning so much from designing this gansey without a pattern and it will help me when I design an adult one in the future.  I have tried three different attempts at a planaria on this toddler gansey and I am not yet happy with any of them.  I will try one more on the 2nd sleeve - I am determined to find just the right combination of knits and purls so the planaria will be recognizable.  I will post more about this process next week. 

Strandwanderer shawl

I started this shawl and I am enjoying how the short rows are making the colours in the wool form little blocks.  It was a bit of a brain exercise for the first time through the pattern.  I thought I was doing it wrong and frogged 18 rows before looking at the tutorial and seeing I had done it right the first time!  Now the pattern is easy to remember (as long as I am not watching a complicated TV show at the same time).

And now for my plan for the next twelve months.  This list will be a new page at the top of this blog - but here it is as it stands today - the beginning of Year of Projects 11 (year 6 for me).


Sweaters

Mini Elizabeth Zimmerman surprise sweater for tree  (from last year's list and probably the year before!)

Gansey for Taylor

Gansey for Kyle and/or Brian

Spinning 

Tour de Fleece 2021 - finish 250 gm spin   (possibly dying it too)

Mitts

Joy - Pride Fingerless Gloves

Socks

Advent Socks (from last year's list)

7 pairs - patterns to be determined with all the Stroll sock yarn I bought on July 1st! 

Red Pair

Yellow Pair

Green Pair

Orange Pair

Blue Pair

Purple Pair

Russet Pair

Crochet 

Weebee doll and clothes (from last year's list)

learn 3D granny squares

Small Knits

A gnome or two

Otherwise this week we had to contend with very unusual (for us) hot, hot weather.  It was 39C which for you American folks is 102F!  There was not much walking this week.  Even in the early mornings it was in the 90s!!!

On a funny note - on the hottest days we had to contend with a broken furnace!  LOL!!  We had turned on the fan only for a couple of days to try to bring up the cool air from the basement, but then when we tried to turn the fan off - it wouldn't.  We did finally get it fixed by monkeying around with it - but we only hope once we need the fan when the heat is on it will go off and on as it should. 

It was Canada Day on Thursday July 1st, but with the news of more unmarked graves found near residential school sites across the country it didn't seem the time to celebrate.  Instead I wore an orange shirt and went for a walk thinking of those affected but this tragedy.  Even nature seemed to want to show its support. 


If you want to know more about why the orange shirt is a symbol of support you can read about it here

For my American readers and friends - today is July 4th, and I hope you are spending time with family and friends and maybe having a bbq, or waiting for fireworks.  Whatever you are doing and whomever you are with I wish you a happy day. 

I got this picture of my dear grand-daughter.  She is 2 1/2 now!  I love the look on her face.  I truly hope this fall I will be able to see her and her mom and ta-ta in person!!


If you want to subscribe to this blog you can go to Bloglovin  It is a great site where you can subscribe to any blog you want and when there is a new post it will be emailed to you.   You can find Breathing Life at https://mary-mann.blogspot.com

12 comments:

  1. Mary-Ann. I admire you for designing the Gansey sweaters. Your list for next year looks like a lot of fun. I hope your heat wave has left. Ours will be here until mid October. Then we will be loving life again while you are bundled up in blankets and woolen clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooooo impressed that you can design your gansey!! That just so amazes me. Your project plans sound like a fun year ahead. Absolutely love your banner picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuckling at the title of this post. It does feel like we just did this! Ok... I'm curious... why a planaria?
    I only ask because I know you've got a reason - and my apologies if you've explained this before and I wasn't paying attention. I look forward to another YOP year with you, Mary-Anne. You bring so much creativity and thoughtfulness to your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dear student of mine just graduated with a degree in Marine Biology and her thesis was on Planaria.

      Delete
  4. Love the header picture, that is so beautiful! And the gansey, of course. Oh, and thanks for showing the shawl, I was wondering if it would work with one of my skeins, so I'll be watching your progress like a hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list looks like a lot of fun. I can’t wait to see your yarn haul. I recently ordered a bunch of the Knit Picks Bare to dye. Your Gansey is beautiful. I hope you are able to figure out the design feature you are trying to get on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad we are going to do it all again! I love the gansey, it's progress is very exciting. And I too hope you get to see your granddaughter in person very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing! Your granddaughter is very cute too. I do hope you get to see her this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gansey is going to be wonderful once you've got all the details figured out. Hopefully a visit with the granddaughter can happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your YOP list and the way you make space for adds.

    I'm at a loss for words to discover what the unmarked grave discoveries means to the indigenous communities and all of us by extension. Nothing feels adequate enough to empathize with those losses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are quickly becoming a gansey addict with more added to this year’s list. The toddler one is really looking great though and you are doing a terrific job in designing your own. Another beautiful bird painting for your header, I hope you still paint. Fingers and toes are crossed hoping you get to see your family this year. Oh and I’m glad to see more gnomes making the list hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing your gansey sweaters work up! They are works of art.
    I have also been known to spend "a little extra" for free shipping or a "free" gift!!

    The mass graves of all of those children are infuriating and heartbreaking. The forced assimilation of cultures into the Eurocentric model since the 15th century is genocide.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.