Sunday, March 27, 2011

Family

Brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, grand nephews, husband, and son. Yup, it was that kind of weekend. Laughter, and admiration for musical gifts. Joy in watching another generation discover the contents of the box of lego. Spontaneous hug from a 5 year old. How great is that?
A phone date from my girl, so far from home, made the weekend complete. And still the marking got done, and the prep, more or less. The sleep? Not so much, but there will be time for that.
I met a young man from Germany, a friend of my son's. A punk fan, and a political science undergrad....how eclectic is that? Oh, yeah, and he has in the recent past held the world record for cup-stacking. Don't ask, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDNacCKJhw
Family isn't just those you are born with, or into, or adopt. They are also those that you choose, to share your highs, and lows, and laughs, and tears. Family, may, or may not, be friends, and friends may, or may not, be family, but there are those in our life we know we can count on, we know they love us, despite of, or maybe because of our failings, our humanity.
I have suffered in my life because I have loved and trusted people too much, and I have suffered in my life because I have not loved and trusted people enough.
My mother always said that I wear my heart on my sleeve. She always said it as if it were a bad thing. I think that more people should wear their heart on their sleeve. What is the point in hiding our hearts? Because if we really met each other heart to heart, wouldn't that be a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.