Thursday, March 31, 2011

Crocuses, spring sun, and my girl

I am feeling better today. We have made it through March, and April brings the promise of sun, spring, flowers, warmth, and holidays. I am almost finished teaching Chemistry to a bunch of 'astral' 12/13 year olds, and it is not as scary afterall.
One week today I will be on my way to a workshop, and then embark on a 4 week break. Two, compliments of my school's spring break schedule, and two compliments of the HR department that granted me extra leave to see my girl graduate.

She is graduating from university. How did that happen? How is it I am old enough to have a university graduate for a daughter. I am so proud of her. She worked so hard, she persevered through bad professors, bad boyfriends, bad break-ups, and found herself. She is surrounded by wonderful, inspiring people. She has good supportive friends. She has a loving partner. She is active, and inspirational, whether it is planning 'take back the night' events, or open mikes, or attending conferences to present her thesis project. 50 pages? I have never written 50 pages about anything. I think the longest essay I ever wrote was ten pages, so 50? I can't even imagine.

She is beautiful, inside and out. She is kind, and empathetic, and she trusts, even though life has sometimes given her reasons not to. She is head-strong, and opinionated, and also lovely, and gentle, and sweet. She is the best of me, and the best of her dad.

She writes songs, plays guitar, and sings with conviction and oh, so much talent. She is learning to cook, and loving it.

Her whole life lies before her. I am so glad to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.