Thursday, October 26, 2017

Coming Clean

I have been wanting to write a non-knitting post for a while, but I keep getting waylaid.  Well, not waylaid exactly, more like I keep chickening out.  As if putting the words down will mean it is true and the truth is hard for me, for others, and I do care what others think of me.

I have been working hard on my mental health for the last six months.

I started meditating everyday.

I started taking Bio-K pro-biotics every morning (because I read an article about how depression has been linked to an imbalance of the flora and fauna of our gut, and my gut and I are not on the best of terms.)

I started seriously tackling my French lessons.

I started to learn Croatian for myself and to support my daughter who is living so very far away.

I started Lumosity brain training.

I went to my Doctor.

Who referred me to a counsellor.

Who referred me to a psychiatrist.

Who suggested group therapy.

I was referred to a group for trauma recovery.

Trauma?   Yes, trauma. 

I took the test y'all, and I passsed - with almost all of the symptoms of someone with ptsd.

In the last couple of years I have mentioned to those very very close to me that I felt like I was suffering with ptsd, but to hear it aloud, from a counsellor's mouth, that was hard.

So that is where I have been over the past ten weeks.

And it has helped.

A lot.

I don't feel as crazy.  I feel like the way I behave in certain situations has some context.

I realize I have been a product of trauma in my life for a very very very long time.

And now I have a tool-box to deal with my anxiety.



Literally, I have a tool box filled with things that help me when I am triggered.















And I also have a figurative tool box.

But back to my earlier list.

I started to get obsessed with not losing my streak in Lumosity, Meditation, French and Croatian.

It was exhausting.

I never really got the counter to work on the Croatian app.  But I did do it every day until the short course was over - yay me.

I lost the Lumosity streak first.  no biggie.

Then I lost the French one after about 230 some days.

That was hard - and the program even said I could get in back for $17.99.  Really?

(Ok, I was tempted for a bit).

The meditation one was the hardest.  Some days when I didn't feel like meditating I would put on the app and turn off the volume so it would count my day without me doing anything.

See?  I was cheating to maintain my meditations streak!   How embarrassing to admit.

But then, earlier this week I lost it for real.

And it hurt.

And then my son said - 'Mom, it is about non-attachment.' 

Duh.

So now all my streaks are gone

Except this one.

I will keep moving forward on my mental health.  I am making progress and I don't need a counter to tell me that.

And one last thing.  I have a friend who speaks Croatian.  I am going to contact her today and see if she will give me private lessons.  We can knit and talk and have tea and I will learn something new.

Without the counter.

Without the stress.

I don't need an app to tell me I am doing ok.

I know that I am getting better and doing ok.

And now?

Now I am off to teach twenty-four thirteen year olds about Copernicus and how he rattled the world by proposing something different.

I can relate.

I bet, so can they.





6 comments:

  1. My brave friend ... one thing I know for sure is that you never give up and are continually strive to improve a situation. It's good to hear that you are feeling more at peace
    ... you certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be aware and try to repair with family that cares. You'll be alright (Love my socks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the hardest things when dealing with your mental health problems is admitting you have a mental health problem. Having it properly identified is a huge step. Well done you for being so open about it - that's another huge step. Yes sometimes it feels like 3 steps forward and 1 (or even 2) back but as long as you're moving forward that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have always been a woman of courage - and now you are a woman of courage with insight. Let go of the apps and trying to prove to yourself that you can accomplish something. The reality is, those with ptsd are accomplishing something each and every single moment of each and every single day by getting out of bed, getting dressed, 'being' human and dealing with the dragons-in-the-closet. And some days, you won't get out of bed and that will be okay because on those days, your body is getting the rest it needs. Patience, my friend. I am praying for you - for patience with yourself. I love the idea that you're going to contact a friend to pick up some phrases (not learn the whole language ) in Croatian in a social setting with a friend over tea. Yes, set goals, but make them within-reach (like, I'll learn ten words in Croatian each month) and then increase/add-to your goals (like, I'll add five words in Croatian and make some sentences with the words I've learned). Achievable - like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare story ... go slowly and before you know it, you'll have accomplished your goals. :-) I believe in you. Now, it's up to you to believe in you. Gentle cyberhug on its way to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is big stuff. You have a lot of courage because you have ventured into the unknown to find answers. You found answers and took the strong decision to accept them and incorporate them into your sense of self. I am so thrilled that your exploration has given you context, reason and validation for your experiences so far. You can feel very proud of yourself for facing demons that many people spend their lives running from.

    Now you have the opportunity to put some issues to rest by working through them and finding peace within yourself. You have achieved a huge thing this year. It's great to see you own it and live a better life for it. Forget what other people think. Who are they to judge unless they are looking through your own eyes? Live your life for you. Love your life and love and nurture your self. You are amazing. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.