Sunday, October 22, 2017

Yop 17 - Ta-Da = Ta-Done

To see what my other talented yopping blogging friends are doing go here.



Well here I am on Yopping Week 17.  The blanket is done, and I couldn't be happier. It is so smooshy and the colours so vibrant.  I am extremely happy with how the gold i-cord edging sets all the colours off.


I wanted to get an artsy outdoor shot, but it has been raining buckets all week so this is the best I could do:


(notice cedar leaves on porch that need sweeping up after this week's rain and wind storms). If today's clear skies hold I will get to that chore later in the week.

I started Knitterarium's Dying of the Light Shawl and I am very pleased with how the colours are working together.



I also began a sock test knit last night for Ruth..(aka Knitterarium)  I got a few repeats of the pattern done but I wasn't happy with the yarn choice so I restarted with the tangerine left over from the Iona blanket.  It think it will show the pattern much better.  It will be a quick knit, I think, but no pictures until the pattern is released.

I did get some mending done today - one pair of jeans needed a patch on the knee and another needed to be shortened about two inches.  It felt good to get the sewing machine out and I even repaired a small tear on a pair of dress pants as well.   While finishing my mending my eyes settled on the basket of socks that need darning - but I decided that yesterday wasn't that day!

While I was at it I reorganized my closet and got ALL my shawls on the same side of the closet so I can find the one I want when I want it.  Despite the large number already in my wardrobe I am getting ready to start On the Spice Market shawl.  A number of women in my knit group have made it and it is a fantastic pattern.  Luckily I received a gift certificate for a yarn store recently so I plan to make a trip soon to find all the yummy colours I will need.  It needs one ball of main colour and then six different contrasting colours.  I think I have at least three in my stash, but clearly a shopping trip is in order.  

On a non-knitting note it was my birthday last Tuesday and I have already been taken out for three lunches and one dinner!   I made it to the pool on my birthday and swam my age in laps plus two more for good measure.  That made an even 64 laps, or one mile.  I plan to do this every year on my birthday and I plan to live to be 105, so stay tuned!

On a sad note a woman I taught with ten years ago was shot and killed by a stray bullet in Chicago a week ago Friday.  She and her husband were heading out for the evening to meet some friends for dinner.  She was caught in the cross-fire of a drive by shooting.  I taught her niece for five years, and was horrified to see her picture come up on my facebook feed last Saturday.  It is all so senseless and leads to a feeling of despair and helplessness.  May she rest in peace always. 

But, the sun is shining at the moment, after days of torrential rain, and I have prep to do for my grade seven class tomorrow.  Life does in fact go on, it is just so hard sometimes. 

Take care of each other.  Tell your loved ones you love them.  Don't waste a moment. 

May God hold us in the palm of his hand.






12 comments:

  1. Yout blanket looks so snuggly. The Dying in the Light pattern is such a great pattern to relax with. Have fun with the test knit sock. I really wanted to do it but need.to get all these shawls finished and out of my house first.

    I am so sorry to hear you lost another friend. Life does indeed go on but our hearts still hurt for our losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket is very snuggly and I think will belong to a future grandchild...one day.

      Delete
  2. Your blanket is so pretty and I agree about the gold i-cord...perfect for it! I faved the Spice Market shawl and I have heard nothing but great things about Melanie Berg patterns. I can't wait to see the colors you choose!
    So sorry about your friend....so senseless...violence in the world has become the norm and that is truly dis-heartening.
    Happy belated Birthday and you will live to be 105! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, Mary-Anne, even if it's likely we will never meet. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be surprised if one day I get to France and I will meet you then!

      Delete
  4. Happy Festival of Mary-Anne! I’m so glad your existence is being appropriately celebrated.
    I know the hummingbird is your totem, but I suspect perhaps a mermaid is your Patronus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Maybe not a mermaid. More like a manatee, or a beluga whale. I love belugas because they always look like they are smiling.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Mary-Anne... Your Iona blanket is just gorgeous. I wish I could run my fingers over it and experience those cabled Celtic knots in person. I agree that the gold i-cord edging is a perfect finishing touch. I love how you commemorated your birthday. You are inspiring, girl. And on your sad news... how terrible to read of the shooting of your friend. I don't have words that can touch the pain and emotional wreckage such senselessness has brought to all who know and love your friend. I'm just so very, very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Becki. It is so senseless and makes me realize how precious and short life is.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday for last month. Good on you for allowing yourself to be pamperedand spoiled with lovely lunches and time with loved ones.

    So sorry about the senseless loss of your colleague. Another innocent life lost through gun violence, and for what? How heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.