Sunday, May 20, 2018

Yoppin Update #47 - Or is that 70?


I washed and dried some more fleece this week and spun some more of my May fiber.

I got two shawls on the blocking mats.   I am so happy with them both.






For about 24 hours I had NOTHING on my needles.  Panic ensued but then I checked my Year of Projects list and realized I had a Tree of Life Potholder double-knit in my queue which I knit up in two evenings.




The colour obscured the pattern so I am going to knit another this week with a better colour contrast.

I am using Cascade fixation which is cotton with 1% spandex.  It is lovely to knit with, soft and smooshy.

I also started another hemp, chinese-zodiac double-knit, pot holder for a friend's up-coming 50th birthday.  It is coming along nicely.


It will be the chinese character for Monkey.

But most of this week was getting ready for my dh's 70th birthday.  I surprised him by flying our son in on the morning of his birthday and then another surprise by having his best friend join us at the restaurant for dinner on Thursday night. 

He assumed that the surprises were over, but last night I had twelve friends and family surprise him as he came into the house from grocery shopping!  He WAS surprised and it was a great evening of laughter and stories, friendship and food.

For his birthday I started a "Hilo or Bust' jar so he can get to the Big Island to see the volcano before it stops erupting.   (He will wait until it is a wee bit more under control than at the moment.)


I withdrew from the test knit I was going to do because with these headaches still coming and going I didn't want the pressure of a deadline.  I will get to the doctor this week to try to see what is going on.  Promise.

My son has been introducing me to geo-caching and he accompanied me to find my first cache on Friday.  I now have the app loaded and I think in time I will start my own cache with some little knitted object.  Stay tuned. Near the cache we spied these cool fungi.  I don't think I would have seen them if not for us searching for the cache.



I had two good swims this past week and a few good walks in the forest.

Today?  Later I will go for a walk, but for now I am in my jammies relaxing after the hustle and bustle of planning last night's party.

It is so hard to clean the house without looking suspicious!  lol.

One last thing.  My son showed me the app bitmoji - so here I am:


My other wonderful yoppers are here





11 comments:

  1. Nothing on your needles for 24 hours!!!!! Scandalous! I hope you can get relif from those headaches. How horrible for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am at the end of my rope with them. Headaches are the worse. Will phone doc tomorrow. Today is stat holiday and last day my son is with us. I just wish tylenol worked, but it doesn't :(

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a speedy recovery from those headaches. I've had the same problem for a while now, turns out it's the mattress, I definitely need a new one soon. Hope it's something similarly trivial for you.
    I've heard so much about geocaching, is it as cool and interesting as it sounds? I'm a bit hesistant to try (and commit to yet another hobby *sigh*) but really interested all the same.
    Your shawls look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a new mattress and pillow would definitely be in order here too. I like the geocaching idea because it will give me somewhere to walk to and a purpose for walking. I don't like to go for a walk just to walk, I like to walk somewhere. I will post more about my experiences with geo caching as time goes by I am sure.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Mary-Anne, you sure know how to make a birthday special. It all sounds so wonderful.

    Those shawls are gorgeous. And I love your hemp potholders. There's something about them that just makes me feel good. I think it's how the material looks when they're finished.

    I hope you get some answers and can conquer the headaches, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love these hemp potholders, and my next one will be using some hemp I spun earlier this year. The birthday has been wonderful and even though he didn't want a fuss I think he is glad I fussed anyways.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What great gifts you gave your husband! Wish him a Happy Birthday! I'll be 70 in January so I am right behind him. I've never had a birthday party in my life so I don't imagine there will be one at this late stage. The volcano is fascinating for sure but I feel bad for the people who lost their homes but then I woouldn't live there or where there are mudslides or forest fires etc. Something may happen here though so I shouldn't consider myself immune! I can't believe you had nothing on the needles? Your shawls are absolutely beautiful and I can definitely see the tree and it's reflection in that gorgeous bag. You are an amazing knitter! I hope the headaches go away. I had some doozies last week and it wasn't fun and I never have them so I think it was a bug. I looked into geocaching and it sounded fun but too many other things going on right now. Let us know how it goes. Have a good week and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you deserve a birthday party then. Organize it for yourself! Lol, don't worry I have my needles busy again, and already planning a baby sweater with the left over cotton from my classic tee. Plus I HAVE to get started on my advent calendar before I am left with 20 small things to knit all in November!

      Delete
  5. Well you must have been busy! What lovely events for your DH. Belated birthday wishes. Empty needles? How did you not have a meltdown? lol. Seriously I hope you get to the bottom of these headaches. Geocaching was popular here but it seems to have quietened down. My daughter found quite a few. The volcano is scary. Hope he gets to see it - but from a safe distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, safe distance indeed although when we were there in 1989 we have pictures of him poking sticks into the flowing lava.....

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that your headaches seem to have left you by the tine I've come to read your updates. Did you ever discover their causes?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.