Sunday, May 27, 2018

#48 - TPHPE for the win

Hello one and all. 

This week has been all about potholders!

First I finished the hemp potholder - chinese characters for Year of the Monkey.



Then I checked my queue and saw that I had planned to knit TPHPE pattern.


TPHPE stands for The Prettiest Hot Pad Ever. 

I added the row of crosses along the top because it wasn't quite square enough.  Now I have started another one and I am expanding the pattern row to every two rows so it will be square enough without me having to adlib. 


I did a second Tree of Life potholder/trivit with better contrast of colours.  I am happier with this result than last week's.



A friend at knitgroup said she liked the brown one from last week because it was a mystery similar to Where's Waldo?  Where is the Tree of Life?


My son and I did another geo-caching walk before he left town and we saw these cuties with their mom along the way. 




Last Monday the three of us (my husband, son and I, not the little ducks) went to the Museum of Anthropology.  It is such an amazing place and now I am reading about Salish Weaving after meeting with Debra Sparrow whom I had gone to school with until grade 8.  She was there demonstrating weaving as she worked on a piece commissioned by the Museum.  She mentioned this book as her reference when she first began weaving.






Here is one of Bill Reid's carvings that is honoured with a room all of its own. 


Lastly at Knit Group a gentleman arrived with two suitcases full of wool and material. He was moving and had been storing things for his mother-in-law that he now wanted to give away.  

I took this amazing bolt of material that I am going to make into bedroom curtains.


And this red and green felt for an advent wreath and/or christmas stockings.




And some acylic yarn I will send on to the Hornby Island Free Store.  




This wool I will use for scrap yarn projects like my little advent knits.




but this I will make into a shawl 



and this into .....something.  Maybe a baby blanket?



Also there was a completely finished sweater except the ends hadn't been sewn in and there was a hole in the front where I think the woman was trying to fix a cable she had made an error on. I picked up the stitches on either side of the hole and grafted the sides together with kitchener stitch.  Last night I sewed in all the ends. The cable isn't a mistake, it is a design element.  Right?



I thought it would be donated to some young man, but then I put it on and my husband said I should keep it.  

What do you think?

A good camping sweater for sure.

To follow other yoppers as we head towards the finish line look here.

PS:  On the headache front it is still with me, but I did go to the doctor and have had lots of blood/urine tests.  I am not letting it stop me and have been walking and even tried a Tai Chi class for the first (and not the last) time.  It'll take more than a persistent headache to stop me from getting on with life.  



5 comments:

  1. Oh my. You have been busy with the pot holders. I love them all.

    The fabric for the curtains is grand. Also the red and green for Christmas themed items.

    You really pulled in a good haul of the yarn from that gentleman too. How nice of him to bring it in rather than trashing it.


    That sweater is fantastic and yes you should keep it. It would be the perfect camping sweater or even to knock about in.

    What a great week it was for you. Hopefully those headaches can be treated and cleared up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your potholders are beautiful, Mary-Anne! I love them all, too! And what a nice gift that gentlemen gave to your knitting group. That fabric is beautiful and will make gorgeous curtains. And all that yarn! Whee! Can't wait to see what comes of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, look at those potholders! They are all fabulous. And what a find with the sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing especially with headaches too! Your potholders are beautiful and I have never had a problem seeing your trees of life. What a wonderful gift for that man to give it all away and to exactly the right people who would truly appreciate it! The sweater is great!
    I hope you get your headache situation cleared up but I also truly admire you for forging ahead regardless! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever to be able to fix that cable and thank you for explaining how you did it. The jumper looks like it fits so why don't you keep it?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.