Sunday, April 7, 2019

Yopping Update #40 - One foot in front of the other


Well, no knitting.  I did take apart a sweater for my sister which took a couple of days. She found the sweater at the free store that was hand knit from home spun.  She will make a lovely vest for herself with the wool. 


I have been walking an hour or so every day with the puppies, and meeting some new friends:







I have tried some new recipes:  gluten free cinnamon buns, beef and broccoli, butternut squash salad, and guacamole.  (No pic of the guacamole - but it was yummy on toast!)  This is huge for me as my hubby is the cook in our family (I am so spoiled), but I think I am managing quite well. 





I worked through another chapter of my croatian textbook, and typed up a couple of days worth of lecture notes from February to use this summer.  The kitchen table is awash in papers and pens, pencils and notes.

There has been binge watching -  A Place to Call Home, Call the Midwife, and Girls. 

I went to the movies last night and saw Green Book.  It was very good. During the day I went to a workshop on water conservancy which was very interesting and it was nice to see some friends there too. 

All in all I am getting things done.  I have even been journalling a little bit every morning.

Yesterday after walking the dogs, I went up a trail by myself that had many many stairs.  I counted 65 stairs up and then down of course and my legs feel it today.  I imagine they will feel it even more tomorrow.

Tonight I am going to make a chicken stir-fry over pad thai noodles, and settle in for some more telly.  We had quite the windstorm here yesterday, and although it is still windy today, the sun is out and the sky is blue.

Tomorrow I am going to volunteer again, as I did last Monday, at the soup kitchen, and I will go to the community choir again too.  Singing is good for my spirits.  I think on Tuesday I will try the yoga class, and let the instructor know about my arm and modify as needed.  It helps to keep active.  Sulking doesn't do me any good, and if my arm is going to be like this for months, as I hear it may be, I have to find ways to carry on doing the things I can without moping about not be able to do the things I can't.

So that is my year of projects update - still an update, just not knitting related.  I am hoping when I get home my magazine will have arrived and I can start to sew together the blanket squares that I have completed.  I think hand sewing will be manageable in small doses.  Hope springs eternal.

To follow other yoppers check out their updates here. 


6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are keeping busy with such good things. What a beautiful place you have there on the island to walk and explore and photograph. And those pictures of foods you've been preparing look delicious! I'm glad you're being good about your arm. I'm sorry it's going to take a while for it to heal up. After reading your post I feel like I should go get on the treadmill or something. Even when part of you isn't working fully, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scenery is wonderful. Even if you can not knit, I am still enjoying your posts. You live in an area I have wanted to visit for years so it is quite interesting to me to just read about your daily/weekly activities. You are really doing well with your Croatian lessons. Your cooking sounds yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are keeping busy Mary-Anne in lots of other wonderful ways and the scenery looks great! I'd say you are doing remarkably well with the cooking, my sister is also spoilt by her husband who does most of the cooking but she doesn't starve and can when she has to can make some pretty good dishes. I love reading about how you are keeping busy and all the other things you are discovering and doing, it's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an area near your home to get fresh air in. And wow, look at all that food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are definitely making good use of your time. It must be frustrating to know your arm may take a while to heal but keeping busy is a good tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have plenty going on. It is good to be able to fill the days with interesting activities and then reflect while resting in the evenings. You have the right attitude about focusing on what you can do and appreciating that. The soup kitchen is a great thing to do also. Enjoy your different activities. It's like a change in the seasons.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.