Sunday, April 28, 2019

Yopping Update #43 - Portuguese Knitting


I worked a wee bit over the week on my amigurumi Monkey.  Head, body and one leg done.



It is slow going to crochet with my left hand but it is coming along.

Then yesterday I had an epiphany.  What about Portuguese Knitting? I went to my trusty friend YouTube and after looking at a couple of videos I gave it a try.

I got out the felted slipper pattern I had, and I made myself a pin to hook the yarn to the left side of my shirt.  The whole idea is that all the action, and tension is happening with the left hand.  The right arm just has to hold the needle, and the tensioned yarn is held around the middle finger so no opening and closing of my thumb.


It took me a few tries to get the knit stitch, but the purl stitch is super easy.  In fact purling is so easy that if you want to have a garter stitch project you purl every row, rather than knitting every row.

Even though it is called Portuguese Knitting it is a common way of knitting in Turkey, Greece and other countries.  Who Knew?

In a funny coincidence Liz (highlandhefflump) sent me an email that I received this morning suggesting I give it a try.  Great minds think alike!!

I knit for a few hours, on and off last night, and my arm is no more the sorer for it.  I will take it slow.  I did get my ultrasound results and I have a 9 mm tear in one of my rotator cuff tendons.  It is what my physio suspected but when I see her on Thursday I will take her the report and we will continue our work together.

I had a better week mentally this week.  I went to the gym a couple of times and the pool once where I walked in the river current without using my right arm at all.  I walked to my 12 step meeting yesterday because it was so beautiful out, apple and cherry blossoms everywhere.  Beats the snow my son was getting one province over!

To follow other Yoppers check them out here




20 comments:

  1. How great that you can knit again! I've watched videos of Portuguese knitting, but I would never have thought of it for your situation. And I am very impressed that you're getting crochet down with your left hand. You continue to inspire me!

    Are you going to try to heal the torn rotator cuff with rest and rehab, or opt for surgery, do you think? I'm sorry to hear you've got a tear - as that likely means longer healing. But I'm thinking it's good to know what it is, right? I hope you and your doctor and physio come up with plan that you feel good about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surgery isn't planned - just physio and time. They say at my age surgery isn't always a good option. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. I feel bad....I use Portuguese when my RA flares up. I should have thought to suggest it to you. I love doing purl with it. And use it on the purl rows when making shawls with stockinette.So glad you were able to knit for a while with it. Sorry to hear about the tear. Will you need surgery to repair it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully no surgery - I will no more after seeing physio with the imaging report on Thursday.

      Delete
  3. I’d never heard of it until Saturday, when I was checking out all the courses at Perth Yarn Festival. The chap teaching the course is Portuguese and is the only one I’ve booked on. I may give it a go following YouTube before the class in September. Do you or they know how it got a tear in? Hope it all gets resolved, but you sound much happier this week which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They think the tear is just because of my age - degenerative tissue, but I wonder if it started with hefting luggage on our trip to Croatia because that is when I first noticed some limitation of strength and movement.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that Portuguese knitting is allowing you to knit again Mary-Anne! Delighted for you and that you had a much better week this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I am a visitor and a new follower coming over from Leftycrafter's blog. It is always fun to discover new blogs from folks who have similar interests. I am a knitter and crocheter and I have been blogging about the same number of years as you. I started blogging as a way of coping with caregiving for my elderly mom. But over time the focus changed and I found I was blogging for myself. - as you say - to stay in touch with myself. I have never tried Portuguese knitting but I will check it out. I am just finishing up the 2019 A-2-Z challenge on my blog and I will be back to my normal blogging topics - whatever flits through my mind and through my life!! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you - I am off to check your blog too. We seem to have lots in common. I have done the A-Z a couple of times and it was always wonderful.

      Delete
  6. I'd never heard of Portuguese knitting but I'm glad it's working for you. I'm sure you are very frustrated at not being able to knit properly for so long. At least you have a diagnosis now though so hopefully they can tailor a treatment plan accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see my physio again on Thursday so I am hoping she will have more information for me now the ultrasound results have confirmed what she already suspected.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Portuguese knitting to the rescue! And you go on hookin with your other hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, crocheting left handed is becoming quite normal now - Who would have thought?

      Delete
  8. I am so happy that the new technique is working for you! I looked into it once as it is supposed to be very fast and God knows I could stand to 'speed up' a bit but I didn't have one of those pin things and I never ordered one so there you go. You were more imaginative than I was...I didn't even try any other sort of pin...duh.
    Glad you are feeling more hopeful this week and that the weather has helped. You are a determined lady and I know some days it isn't easy....ask me how I know....adventures in aging! Take care sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also put the yarn around your neck and so no pin needed!

      Delete
  9. Oh it finally feels like things are looking up! I'm sorry you have a tear, but at least you have an explanation. Your knitting looks great and the monkey is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL the monkey is just a stuffed head, an unstuffed body and one leg - the head is sitting here mocking me - I must keep going and get the poor little thing all of its parts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great solution - Portuguese knitting. I must look that up and refresh my knowledge. Glad you found something that worked well.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.